Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
IceRover

August 6th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Hi I'm new here :). We have a 2006 Land Rover Defender 130 (currently being rejuvenated) but no demountable. We have been travelling with a tent trailer for several years (since 2006) and using tents before that (mainly in Iceland). But we are now pondering demountable campers, for travelling in Europe. I have been looking at the four-wheel pop-up campers or something similar (light, reasonably simple and not too high when travelling) and like f. ex the simple interior that the Wohncabinesenter has done for the European market.
Ours being a Defender, all campers for most pickups are too low above the PU roof, and need to sit on a spacer in the PU bed. I would be interested in ideas of how this spacer, and spacers on the sides and well, could be built an affixed to the demountable or the bed. We would like to use the spacers for additional gear stowage (tables chairs, tools, parts etc.). If you have seen Grizzly & Bear on Youtube you know what I mean.
best regards
IceRover
Icelander living in Norway

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: New member

August 6th, 2020, 9:59 pm

(normally) member either make up a simple sub-frame, drop it onto load bed and load camper onto that, I've used simple skids screwed on underside of camper to protect a small copper pipe that was mysteriously exposed on underside.

Defender's as you say have a higher cab roof than Euro pickups, I *think* about 100mm maybe, if you want to add extra battens to the side to keep the camper central in truck bed fine, but you shouldn't really need it.

and you hope to store extra equipment in the space beneath, is that correct?

IceRover

August 7th, 2020, 8:00 am

Yes I'm interested in using the space for storing items. I think the height difference is between 25 and 30cm. So side boxes would also have a usable size, depending on the with of the demountable compared to the sides of the PU bed. It would be preferable to fix eventual spacers/skids/boxes to the demountable. I would like to have the possibility to leave the demountable at camp and investigate an area without the demountable on the back. My 130 will have air springs within the rear coils so springrate can easily be varied (full-no load).

derestrictor

August 11th, 2020, 9:38 pm

Ice rover Hello & welcome