Greetings from Somerset

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Florence

Greetings from Somerset

January 5th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and demountable campers. As I'm on a low budget I bought an old Tischer from the 1990s that was fully functional. I loved the space and the layout and had dreams of the fun I would have using it. I knew it had had a leak with the pop top up but the previous owners kept the roof down and that did the trick for them.

However when I got it home I realised it was badly effected by the damp and started looking under panels and finding wet boards and rotten wood.

I'm strongly considering trying to fix the camper but just don't have previous experience of this kind of project. Is there anyone around I could ask for advice on where to start?

Happy 2020

Regards

Kath

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Somerset

January 5th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Hello Kath they can be done,
behind the exterior hides a pretty straightforward wooden structure, it's just a case of the extent,

Tischer
rain being what is finds it way in roof down obviously and does most damage, might be worth buying a cheap damp meter and have a simple probe about from the inside and judge the extent.

To do it comfortably requires somewhere large and covered ideally, I understand that parts if needed are even now still available from Tischer Germany

zildjian
Site Admin

January 5th, 2020, 7:15 pm

We do have a buyers guide on these campers, information and tips contributed from other members
Buyers guide Tischer N

Florence

January 5th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve been kicking myself for getting caught up in my dream and not doing research.

It was an expensive lesson so just need to work out what to do going forward.

Will look into a damp meter.

Regards
Kath

kernowjon

January 27th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Hi Kath in Somerset - damp meters are cheap
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Damp-Met ... SwTZ9d-ynz

This is a guide to fixing damp - it is for caravans, but the construction is similar

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

And this series of posts
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 19.28.08.png
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-toge ... -readings/

Jon

Florence

January 31st, 2020, 7:53 am

Thanks for the information.

Still looking at restoring the camper but have come up against the joys of planning permission when looking to put up a large tent to protect it. It seems you can only put one up for 28 days for it to be considered temporary.

Regards

Kath

kernowjon

January 31st, 2020, 9:57 pm

Kath,
Re working place - did you realise a carport does not need planning permission - OK open to the elements from the side but you could probably cope with that. The other alternative might be a caravan cover with a temporary frame lifting it clear of the demountable. When we had a tugger the breathable heavyweight cover had zips that allowed access with the cover in place
cover.jpg
https://www.leisureoutlet.com/caravan-m ... 8KEALw_wcB

https://www.milwoodgroup.com/do-i-need- ... a-carport/

Jon
car port.jpg
car port.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 8434 times

zildjian
Site Admin

January 31st, 2020, 10:21 pm

I'd often thought of something like this in idle moments
s-l1600.png

though didn't know about the restrictions (till now)

Gordmac

February 1st, 2020, 9:59 pm

Can you take it down on day 28 and back up day 29?

Florence

February 10th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Hi all,

I called the Council who were unclear about the nature of whether or not I needed planning permission and I'd have to pay £109 for a definite answer that might be "you need planning permission" and then planning permission is £260 and you might not get it, and it takes months to get.

Council said 28 days per year is temporary, and other sites say 28 days per 6 months.

So I bought a transparent tarp that is bungee corded around the camper most of the time. Will just do some fair weather work when it's not too rainy or windy and then wrap it back up.

With the February storms any tent would probably have been at risk where as so far the tarp and bungees have survived.

Later in the year if we have less wind and more rain and there is an extended period where I need the roof/sides off then I'll start the clock on the 28 days and maybe risk going over that number and take it down when outside work is done.

Take Care

Kath