New member signing in

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Highlander

New member signing in

January 1st, 2020, 8:32 pm

Hi all,
Been reading/browsing on here intermittently for a wee while so thought it was about time to move on, take the plunge and start enjoying the demountable life.
I have some technical questions but shall start another thread for that.
Cheers & a healthy and happy new year to all
Jim

derestrictor

Re: New member signing in

January 1st, 2020, 8:53 pm

greetings Jim another onlooker here as well :)

Highlander

January 1st, 2020, 9:55 pm

Thanks.....after a few years with a motor home,we're finally going down the demountable route.Motorhome will be offered for sale soon to make space at the house for demountable,which will be a lot more user friendly for us.

Highlander

July 6th, 2020, 12:17 am

We've “owned” our demountable for months but can’t get down from Scotland to collect it.....Xmas we had no spare time so left it until a long weekend was booked,then the whole COVID crisis kicked off and we’re only going to be able to travel in the near future(fingers crossed) hopefully.
Motorhome is gone and the summer weather is whizzing passed.....looks like some holiday trips will have to be booked for late on this year.

zildjian
Site Admin

July 6th, 2020, 5:50 am

hi,
Good news is you wouldn't stand out on the road so much now, I am on the motorway network often and have seen lots of MH, Caravans & one of our demountables on their way somewhere? these last few days

Highlander

August 5th, 2020, 8:37 am

Finally picked it up yesterday.....was an epic700 mile solo round trip so the week up in Gairloch will be the reward

Raymundo

March 8th, 2021, 6:13 pm

Hi Highlander,
I'm pretty new to this site and spotted that you mentioned that you have a Hilux Extracab. As I have one too and am soon to be fitting it with a Geocamper pod, I'm very interested to hear how you are getting on with yours. Upto now we've been using a rooftop tent on an aluminium canopy with no modifications to the original Hilux spec. I've a 2.5L HL2 D-4D.

Have the airbags made a big difference - I'm still wondering whether to fit them? What type and size of tyres do you use?

How was Gairloch by the way? We were over that way in September and it was beautiful. I'm a West Coaster originally but now live in Aberdeenshire.

Cheers,
Raymundo

Highlander

April 21st, 2021, 9:40 pm

Hi,
Sorry for the slow reply but I'm not on here very often as there didn’t seem to be much happening recently......for obvious reasons I guess.
Anyway,the Hilux is still going strong and funnily enough the winter cover came off the Northstar today.
We only had 1 trip last year which was all west coast of Scotland and anyone who’s toured there will appreciate the roads but the outfit handled well with about 25psi in airbags......truck rides a lot better with the camper on the back and the load makes very little difference to the driving experience.....ours is a 2011 2.5 diesel.
The truck has standard size tyres at present and look to be road orientated......it came with oversized M&S tyres but they were hideous.......vibration at speed and lots of tyre noise.
We stayed at “Sands” in Gairloch and it was fine because running at 1/2 capacity due to social distancing guidelines and to be honest I don’t fancy it at full capacity in school holidays.....prefer a quieter time whilst away.
Midges were the worst I've ever encountered as well and I got the impression that wasn’t unusual going by all the headnets & repellants in the shop.
We have a couple of weeks all booked up in June....Dumfriesshire,then St Abbs,on to Loch Ness and finally Dunbeath.....maybe see you around.

zildjian
Site Admin

April 22nd, 2021, 6:45 pm

Midges are one of the deciding factors us not visiting Scotland yet, doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to when (and where) they are about
so avoid going there :)

Think a lot of people though keen to get away are possibly waiting for first wave of enthusiastic campers to get out of way first, and then go, if we are lucky we might get a week in at end of Summer, though We'll wait and see how the campsites cope first.

25PSI sounds about right, less is best in terms of putting strain on truck chassis of course but 25 should make ride
a lot more comfortable