Hello from Scotland

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
OnTow

Hello from Scotland

April 27th, 2019, 9:49 am

Hi all,

I’ve recently bought a Northstar camper with the intention of mounting it on my Nissan Navara D40. It’s a bit of a learning curve as I’ve never had a demountable before so all new to me.

Thanks

OnTow

Re: Hello from Scotland

April 27th, 2019, 10:21 am

If anyone has any alternative methods of attaching the camper to the pickup I’m all ears as I’m not overly keen on drilling through the external bodywork.
The previous owner had it on a Hilux with the front fixings through the bodywork and the rear fixings were onto the tow bar assembly which was the full width of the pickup.

Thanks

mjb666

April 27th, 2019, 11:55 am

Hi OnTow and Welcome to the Forum

I'm hoping i have zoomed in on the right image of how it was previously fixed to the Hi-Lux?

Below is a quote from a previous thread about the way Northstar attach their De-mountable's to a pick up. Not ideal without drilling into the truck as you say.

It might be possible to have made up in the UK a similar attachment system based on the Torklift set up. Ther are plenty of images on line to be able to get a good idea to copy? I know they do not make a set suitable for UK pick up trucks.

POST No. 811

Slightly o/t
I'm still using the "buttons" that Niche Marketing fitted low down on the outside of the pickup body on my ranger. These always worked for the big heavy Northstar I used to own. The tie downs supplied had a hefty spring inside to reduce shock loading and there don't seem to have been any distortion or cracking in the pickup body. I regularly drive forest tracks and live down the long and winding third world roads of Kintyre.

Mike
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

mjb666

April 27th, 2019, 11:57 am

I'm curious now. How did you get your new De-mountable home after buying it or did the previous owner deliver it?
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

OnTow

April 27th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Hi Mike, that is rather coincidental but the photo you have put up is the very camper I have bought :D! And yes it was delivered on that Hilux.

zildjian
Site Admin

April 27th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Hello On tow :)
Many demountables are chained or Turnbuckle'd down to eye bolts through the floor of the load bed,

here
16h81uo.jpg
there really isn't any way to fix camper to truck without drilling some holes somewhere but these are largely out of sight and certainly not through a panel as preferred earlier.
Those 'buttons' were a common feature with Northstar camper installations though I didn't really like them either and probably won't go down well as a selling feature on truck.

Silversprinter

April 27th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Hello from another newbie here.
We don't yet own a camper as not found one right for us yet but worth reading the site for useful information,
i watch the 'for sale' section