Hello & how do I mount a Northstar to a Hilux!

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Toshbins

Re: Hello & how do I mount a Northstar to a Hilux!

October 24th, 2016, 6:33 pm

When I was looking at new Northstars, they had double front mounts, one set for outboard tie towns and one set for inboard. I suppose the idea was that you discarded the ones you didn't want. Worth checking to see if that's what yours will come with.
On the Amarok, it's possible to drill the front holes right where the tub bolts to the chassis, so you can have your eye bolts mounted through the tub to the chassis brackets. Don't know if that's possible on the Hilux.

petesherrard

October 24th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Toshbins wrote: On the Amarok, it's possible to drill the front holes right where the tub bolts to the chassis, so you can have your eye bolts mounted through the tub to the chassis brackets. Don't know if that's possible on the Hilux.
I am trying to get a few more details from Northstar about what they will be providing but they seem very busy and take a while to reply. And the UK dealer knows less than I do at this stage.

I will rummage around under my Hilux tomorrow to see how the tub is bolted on as that sounds like a good idea. Maybe there will be a couple of bolt holes in the chassis at just the right place.... :)

It would be much easier to wait for the camper to arrive to solve this problem of course but I would like to have the Hilux ready to bolt the camper on for when I go to pick it up. I dont want it falling off on the way home.

zildjian
Site Admin

October 24th, 2016, 7:35 pm

To get-it-home you can cargo strap it down to chassis by threading straps down between cab & tub,

measure twice drill once as they say

SueMcD

October 27th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Hi Sue,
Why do you want to change from the bolts-through-chassis system? Why don't you like it?
Rex, at Northstar, says that they are building the camper so we can use ratchet straps accessed via hatches inside the camper. I would assume that if they are doing that, they will be putting the connection bolts somewhere closer to the floor. I have emailed him for conformation but no reply yet.

The dealer was 'encouraged' by Northstar to accept me as their first guinea pig client and I think they felt they would have preferred to have been a bit more organised and ready before they took their first order. Especially as I doubt I am the easiest of clients! (I ask a LOT of questions. :) I will contact them and ask them if they are ready and if they are, I will let you know who they are. :)
Hi Pete,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't check the web forum very often.

Imageheberger image

pic shows the turnbuckles, the bolts on the side of the truck and where the turnbuckles attach to the camper... and some local wildlife.

The bolts are simply drilled through the side - they are not attached to the chassis. We don't go off road - we just do lots of Scottish roads (!) and I think they are okay. We do have the Torklift AnchorGuard turnbuckles so there is some flex in the front. I'm just not sure you'd want to use this for rough off-roading. I can't help but think it could rip the bolts if it the treatment was too rough. I've never heard of that, but it's just a feeling.

I grew up in Canada although did not drive a truck and camper until I went back on holiday. All those rentals had the Torklift Tie Downs and that is just what I am used to seeing. I have never seen the attachments straight into the bed that other folks use. Maybe, once I have seen that, I would consider it. I need to make next year's meet !

If I had unlimited payload and cash, I would go for the Torklift Tiedowns and FastGun Turnbuckles. Unfortunately, I don't have the payload to play with so don't need to worry about the cash.

Another Thought: Not sure that the TieDowns stick out all that far, especially if you have side steps like us. Quentin has fitted tiedowns so might be able to help our with better photos and advise.
Last edited by SueMcD on October 28th, 2016, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Jim

October 30th, 2016, 10:32 am

Hi and welcome
I really don't think that set up is the best . I have an older Northstar on Ranger . MIine was fixed in a similar manner . I found there is very little stopping it sliding forward and the mounting points on the tub distorted due to stress . I also moved the camper fixings inwards and tied down within the tub as the outer camper point on the body were stressing .I don't go off road , but if you have to brake sharply it will try to side forward .
Good luck
Jim

keeflester

October 31st, 2016, 8:50 pm

I had that set-up with my Ranger and Northstar. It was snug to the front of the pickup bed so didn't move under heavy braking, but I can confirm there was some distortion around the rear buttons after a couple of years use. This is the standard method Niche Marketing uses to fit all their demountable campers, so they probably aren't equipped to do it any other way. You'll have to be your own project manager and direct the fitting yourself.
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

TIM50J29

March 17th, 2024, 3:25 pm

I realize the original post is dated but am curious what you actually decided to do and how did things work out? I have a 2021 Toyota Hilux Single Cab Pickup and have purchased a NorthStar 600SS popup. I have already purchased 4 Torklift brackets that I was planning to attach to the frame. Has any Toyota Hilux owner with a single cab simply used the tie down hooks on the upper sides of the box to tie down a Pop up camper. I would prefer that to having the tie down arms to deal with.

zildjian
Site Admin

March 17th, 2024, 7:34 pm

Torklift off the chassis rail is the belt and braces of truck campers,
no don't use the little hooks on inside of tub, they aren't up to much and only lightly welded usually.

Next step down from Torklift is an eyebolt bolted into floor of tub to correspond with same on underside of camper,
Tub is bolted to chassis securely so isn't going to come off with camper weight acting on it during crnering

TIM50J29

March 18th, 2024, 9:02 am

Thank you for your comment. I have the Torklift brackets so I might as well go ahead and mount them - a bit of a chore - but it will probably end up being the best solution. Even if it is a "belt and suspenders" option. Thanks again for your help.