Hello from Old'en and Butch the dog.

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
old'en

Hello from Old'en and Butch the dog.

September 10th, 2016, 8:36 am

Hello
I've retired last november ,had my own truck since 1973 and miss the travel we looked at motorhome but to much money ,motor bike and tent no not realy back to trucks ,that not go'in to work ,so i've got apick up hows about a demount ! good idea so i am looking for a unit for day cab pick up,I have tried to buy 3 up to now outbid on No.1 ,missed No.2 by a day No.3 has not replied to my offer yet .So thats me up to date got truck ,got dog[he's my buddy] got time,man lifes good.So Hello Demountable campers .

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Old'en and Butch the dog.

September 10th, 2016, 8:46 am

And good morning to you Alan, how can we help you best?
I see Tata pick-up so can I ask which camper's you've been looking at, are you also looking at hard-side or pop top campers it depends mostly on distances you intent travelling and how off road you plan on getting at the end too :D

anyway welcome to the group and let me know where you're based and we'll see if We can find someone local to you for a visit

Zildjian

zildjian
Site Admin

September 10th, 2016, 8:55 am

(Welcome Butch too)

derestrictor

September 10th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Good evening Old en' and welcome to the site hello to Butch as well of course!

they have a facebook page group thing to if you like that sort of thing :geek:

old'en

September 11th, 2016, 9:22 am

Hi
OK lrts get the laugh'in done its a Tata pick up [India's Finnest] when i first saw it my work mate bought it and i said 'You have bought what, a Tata then after 2 trips south in it i drove best part 1500 miles i thought its not to bad,work well ,carrys the load fuel 37 to gallon,mmm not bad so 2yrs later ibought it of him, i've had some rib'in but the Tata keeps roll'in and of course Butch has his seat an keep's an eye on everything,from this point we started looking for a sleeper cab Tata no dont make'em ,camper back thats the way to go.We may be off next week to try to do a deal for a nortstar ,see what happens .Have these unit any faults as to look for ,i do my own repairs anyway so its not a real problem,seals and damp bits i wil have to look for ,we will see
thanks Old'en and Butch.

keeflester

September 11th, 2016, 10:20 am

The only caution about the Northstar is to get a proper weight check. Mine was way heavier than the plated weight, even allowing for fluids etc. I think the manufacturer must weigh the empty shell before they put in the fridge, cooker, heater, boiler, toilet, bed, etc etc etc. Just my opinion, ymmv
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

zildjian
Site Admin

September 11th, 2016, 11:23 am

We offer a free buyers guide for all popular uk camper

HERE

Northstar generally pretty good and quite widely owned here, as you say you do your own repairs you won't find much on these you can't tackle generally, they have powered legs, usually a wiper motor and gearbox at head of each one, these can jam but teardown fairly easily for repair.

Let us know how you get on and feel free to join us next year for a weekend with like-minded sorts

Alexd

September 11th, 2016, 7:25 pm

Retired, lucky chap, well welcome to the site good luck with Northstar visit hope it suits your needs

Alex

old'en

September 19th, 2016, 9:24 am

Hello again from Old'en an Butch the Dog
Well we left on the boat last wed. headed south and bought a Mitsy and Northstar demount, plan come home sell mitsy and put northsar on the Tata,well mitsy seem very good drive's well,look well camper fits well an family say's its nicer than Tata, so mitsy might stay awhile,meanwhile i am trying to date Northstar i found a pic on the web taken in 2007 the small ding in the front was there then,it had home's at Hull,Dewbury,Cambridge and mid Lothian reg isYX52 JFO do any of your member;s know it ,seen it,or any info on who put it together,in my mind the whole outfit is in good order ,making me very happy with my deal,so back to getting a build date,cannot find a plate on the said camper ,all fittings are made in the states,from this she must be a good age, has anyone got some input on any of these idea's i've got.
many thanks Alan.

zildjian
Site Admin

September 19th, 2016, 10:40 am

Hi Alan send me a picture of both and i'll add them to your thread there if you like
Slowdown.Zildjian@gmail.com

Glad you found one you like, don't know a lot about Tata beyond what you've mentioned so far yourself, but Mitsubishi are quite common with our members

Well done

Zildjian