Hello from Plymouth/Nottingham.

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Stepto

Hello from Plymouth/Nottingham.

September 8th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Hi there, I'm Stephen and have just joined the group. Hope to get lots of advice please from anyone with experience of building their own demountable or anyone with a very small demountable.

I intend to build one for my 1950 Series One Land Rover. I know it's small (3 foot long rear load bed), but I believe it is possible.

I need it to have-
A warm, dry comfortable 6 foot + bed.
A seating area for 2 or 3.
A work surface to cook on or prep food on.

I'm not fussed about water, gas, battery etc. It will be an additional room to be used with a large tent when I'm with my family of be a camper when I'm on my own.

Electric will come from the Landy as it will only be for LED lighting and USB ports for charging.

The Landy already has a much bigger more modern engine and vastly updated brakes.

Any thoughts?
Kind regards,
Steve.

David Fellowes

Re: Hello from Plymouth/Nottingham.

September 8th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Welcome Stephen I expect they'll be along shortly with advice and We like pictures here as things get made so have a camera handy please

David
I think of myself as part of the the dayshift around here :)

Stepto

September 8th, 2016, 3:46 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention. Just to further complicate issues, the underside of the front bed overhang will form the roof to the Landy. I don't have a roof for it so it will double as that. So the windscreen and door tops and trailing edge of the doors will close and seal against the body of the camper.

In addition I wasn't happy with the way the demountable I had on test moved around so I'm considering three points of contact with the vehicle. At the front to the bulkhead, in the middle behind the seats and at the rear on the rear crossmember.

mjb666

September 8th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Good evening and Welcome.

I'm just being curious but i wasn't aware that there was a company that allowed you trial a de-mountable before buying. Would you be able to elaborate? Sounds like a really good idea.
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

Stepto

September 8th, 2016, 10:23 pm

A misunderstanding.

I had the demountable on a test for a magazine article.