New member seeking advice on buying an Apollo

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
clunster

New member seeking advice on buying an Apollo

August 11th, 2016, 12:41 pm

Hi All,
Looking at buying a 18 month old Apollo privately and have a couple of questions. After speaking to Apollo on the phone they say that their 5 year construction guarantee is not transferable and was dependant on customers having their demountables resealed every 12-18 months which they quoted £1000. Not sure if this information was to put us off buying outside of their network but the cost was a bit alarming. I've read the buyers advice on here about checking for damp and have armed myself with a damp meter for when I see it.
Another thing I was wondering about was suspension airbags and how many people fit them, if they were worth the expense and whether they are reliable. If anyone has any further info on what to look out for I'd be very grateful
cheers

N.B - I emailed Apollo asking for confirmation of what I was told on the phone and they now say resealing is a far more reasonable £300 which is a relief

Alexd

Re: New member seeking advice on buying an Apollo

August 11th, 2016, 6:04 pm

Good afternoon Clunster,
well the good news is an 18Month old camper is unlikely to have developed a leak, the bad news is with (very) few exceptions all Apollo's ultimately do must it specifically be an Apollo?
there are other alternatives and TBH most if not all of them don't require 'resealing annually' if generally at all for that matter.

zildjian
Site Admin

August 11th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Good evening Clunster, welcome to the group, we have a facebook group if you prefer

derestrictor

August 11th, 2016, 10:11 pm

Hello, newbie and welcome to the site, good source of information though Apollo love might be in short supply around here
have you considered the Tischer range, they can be bought both here and Europe (see sales thread)

anyway Hi :D

Mike

August 12th, 2016, 8:20 am

Hello from us in Somerset as well, the group does offer hosting services to take a look before you buy, see who is in your area and see if they are amenable cheers
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

Toshbins

August 12th, 2016, 11:31 am

Hi and welcome.
We fitted air suspension before getting our camper (look back through 'What are you up to' thread) the common opinion seems to be, that even if the truck can handle a one ton load (and the camper is less than that) the air suspension makes the whole thing drive much better; much less wallow and sway.
What truck have you got? I'd certainly recommend the VB setup that I have on the Amarok, but others may have good experiences with other systems on different trucks.
We did a tour round the country looking at all the importers/manufacturers, some second-hand sellers, as well as dropping in on a number of group members. It really helped us decide what exactly we wanted and an insight into the pros and cons of different makes of camper before we took the plunge.
Good luck - and you are welcome to visit us if you are anywhere near.

clunster

August 13th, 2016, 8:58 am

Many thanks for all the advice. We really liked the Apollo, in fact my wife fell in love with the thing and insisted we buy it! Maybe a catastrophic impulse buy but I think I can keep the damp out with some routine maintenance and it will be kept in a garage which hopefully should help keep damp at bay for a few years. We might rue the decision not to buy German but our budget was pretty tight and I don't have time at the moment for another project. I'm reading up on airbag suspension and catching up with all the articles on this site which are very useful and should pick it up next week. :D

mjb666

August 13th, 2016, 10:32 am

Good morning Clunster and Welcome. In for a penny, in for a pound, seeing how you're now an Apollo owner.

Take a load of photos of anywhere that you might have concern with, post them on here and i'm sure you will get plenty of advice from those that know, always good to get unbiased advice away from the original manufacturer, wink, wink!
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

mjb666

August 16th, 2016, 6:04 pm

Hi Clunster

I meant to ask, did you buy the Apollo with a pick up as a package or as you were asking about air bags, do you already own a truck?

Either way, how are you getting on so far, always good to get peoples first impressions and comments.

2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

derestrictor

August 21st, 2016, 4:18 pm

So clunster, have you picked up your new purchase, can we see any pictures?