Newbie from Portsmouth

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
mortcars

Newbie from Portsmouth

August 9th, 2016, 11:48 am

HI,

im dan from sunny portsmouth, currently got a T4 campervan and with the wife, 3 dogs and the plan for some kids in the not too distant future we are looking to upgrade

ive looked at bigger vans to self convert but parking is a mare round here and anything over 6m causes massive issues.

so i was walking along the seafront and saw a lovely french pickup with a camper back and thought that may well sort my issues.

we have been camping for years, been all round europe in our van which has been great but with the dogs their just isnt enough space, ive fitted a pop top to help for now but want to look at something bigger.

been looking and our ideal setup is a t4 doka with a demountable back as then i can leave the back in my parking spot when at work and come back each night to reverse back under it :)

ideally id like a project as i dont want a shower or inside cooking facility, id want to customise it a bit

anyone local that i can have a snoop round their rig?

Dan

mortcars

Re: Newbie from Portsmouth

August 9th, 2016, 12:02 pm

derestrictor wrote:
Sporstman camper (needs repair)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361676687869? ... EBIDX%3AIT

ohh looks like an ideal project for a complete rebuild, any ideas how difficult it would be?

i cant imagine its that hard? gut, re-brace the panels with wood, seal the life out of it, celotex, inside panel then basic furniture and done, power via pickup or batt/solar

Alexd

August 9th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Hello and welcome to the site, that one you were looking at might be a God project for someone with some DIY skills I reckon,

There are also the Apollo campers but varying reports on build quality

(let's leave it at that)

zildjian
Site Admin

August 9th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Good afternoon Dan & welcome,
Sportsmen campers come up quite rarely though I don't thats a reflection of number of them in UK or their build quality, certainly the UK manufactured units are more plentiful but almost inevitably require a level of DIY before being fit to use unless you get lucky and get a good one.

Obviously an earlier Tischer for DOKA is purpose built with lots of space but other than that keep watching sales here for a project t come along

mortcars

August 9th, 2016, 12:47 pm

id love a Tischer but alas they are rare over here for the t4 doka platform.

ill probably chuck a bid on that sportsman, get it dry and sorted then i can always sell on if i find a better one :)

zildjian
Site Admin

August 9th, 2016, 1:03 pm

Well if you can travel (Germany mostly) we seem them on sale a lot there, don't think we have a member here with one thinking about it

mortcars

August 9th, 2016, 1:10 pm

zildjian wrote:Well if you can travel (Germany mostly) we seem them on sale a lot there, don't think we have a member here with one thinking about it
oh what sort of price do they go for?

*edit*

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/detai ... geNumber=1

OOF, 15k EUR though

zildjian
Site Admin

August 9th, 2016, 6:20 pm

So on this Sportsman,

Imagephoto libre

*looking* at the interior ceiling, walls etc, it looks intact and appears the floor has parted company at back and needs linking up and sealing properly, then fit it out just as you will,
UK manufactured campers frequently leak at back (in washroom) nobody's yet ascertained where rain gets in but it routinely does.
the last one I looked at had the floor failing as you walked in and thats also pretty common so at least with this as a starting point you know what your'e getting anyway

aejcooper

August 17th, 2016, 9:44 pm

Hi Dan

We are based just east of Worthing f you want to look at a Tischer Box 240 to give you ideals, also close to the downs to walk the dogs :)

Ashley & Kim

mortcars

August 19th, 2016, 5:26 pm

aejcooper wrote:Hi Dan

We are based just east of Worthing f you want to look at a Tischer Box 240 to give you ideals, also close to the downs to walk the dogs :)

Ashley & Kim
that would be epic! thanks very much, i work for west sussex fire so am frequently driving around, would a visit during the day be poss?