Hi

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
PeteJ

Hi

October 18th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Hello, I have recently become the proud owner of a Mk1 VW Caddy and Tischer Camper. Having looked though many of the treads on here I believe it is the same one as one of the members called Wayne used to own! Sadly I think it may have suffered a bit since his ownership with water damage and now requires a bit of a over haul between the skin and the interior.
So far I have begun to carefully remove the interior cupboards as they are in excelled condition and will be replaced once I fix the rot between the walls.I have also removed the rear outer skin so now i'm pretty committed to the restoration!!
I’m looking for advice as to what materials other members have used when restoring their campers. Particularly when it comes to the inner wall boards getting them to match up with what’s already there and replacing one of the existing windows.
If people are interested I can post my photos of what I’m up to so it might help others?

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Hi

October 18th, 2017, 7:21 pm

And hello from me too,
Can't recall that combo I'll have to look back through threads for some detail, good news is many part are still available from Tischer Germany for those old N campers

PeteJ

October 18th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Wow that's exactly what I needed he's worked hard in that!

zildjian
Site Admin

October 18th, 2017, 7:50 pm

We think they are well worth it, and considering how long this model has survived the UK weather
they have done really well

derestrictor

October 19th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Hi Pete,
good luck with rebuild to be honest they sound pretty straight forward rather like a stud wall in your house do you have somewhere under cover to work, thats always good, I've worked on a motorhome outside before now but its not ideal

PeteJ

January 18th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Hi everyone, so I said I would upload some photos of my rebuild I have them on a Flickr account so if you click this link you might be able to see them!! https://www.flickr.com/gp/158843914@N05/9J72b1 . Image Image Image

Update on my progress.
I found that the camper to be extremely bad I ended up remaking the drivers side, rear, and most of the floor. There was so much rot to remove and the camper didn't hold much in the way of strength once I had started. I decided to template the outer skin and used 18mm ply and make the side and rear in one piece, understandably this would make the camper much heavier, as the VW Caddy it sits on had a massive 75 BHP when it was new 30 years ago it is very important that I keep the weight down, I then went back and removed sections to leave just a frame to hang the 3mm ply that i used for the internal walls much like a stud wall.

Next stage is to make it pretty again, I'm unsure wether to spray the inside all one colour or to re apply wall paper, any one had experience with either method?

I was thinking of using this insulation, any one used it before or have an alternative? https://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product ... n-material

I am also going to give the outer skin a coat of paint before i put it back on make it look a bit fresher.

zildjian
Site Admin

February 10th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Hello again, any further news on progress? :)

wonkywheel

February 16th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Hi Pete,
I have just been checking out your flicker thread. A lot of work been done 8-)
That tent you are working in looks just the thing for me
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

PeteJ

February 17th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Hi wonky wheel thanks for following my thread, the tent that I'm using a Clarke Portable garage. Here is a link to the site https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... nt-garage/ ,

I made it out of the garage and over the last few days and managed to apply new insulation re-fix the skins, and get the the whole camper spayed with two coats of high build undercoat and three top coats in a ivory white as seen on the original split screen campers. Im hoping to eventually tie it in with the caddy using decals.
Next step is to find some aluminium capping rail... and make it water tight.

Image Image Image

I have uploaded more photos to my flickr account