Suntrekker with Wetroom

Post up an image good or bad of your camper
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Suntrekker with Wetroom

May 18th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Even a couple serve to break up a white expanse of camper don't they, your ebay contact sounds a handyman to keep note of

kernowjon

May 19th, 2019, 10:37 am

zildjian wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 5:34 pm
Even a couple serve to break up a white expanse of camper don't they, your ebay contact sounds a handyman to keep note of
We are thinking about the blank side. One idea is to cut our own and put "arty" impressionist trees - the problem is creating something that does not look like the side of a truck. We had thought about the Highland Cow - but it would look like a farm truck on that side, so it is on the bonnet -
(The Highland Cow is a joke, Sandra has always claimed to be scared of cows but on the N500 she walked among a herd of them - so now I say she is fibbing!)
Anyway the van is getting better. I think sitting it on a sheet of insulation has done wonders for being quieter - but we still have to test the main purpose getting the botom of the luton clear of the cab when the bed is occupied! e could hear it touching first time we were away.
Jon

zildjian
Site Admin

May 19th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Generally with graphic application less is more, so couple of wavy lines hints at rolling landscape
and something above it in yellow becomes sunshine,

I'm in two minds about the bovine theme if totally honest,
mine had an elk in it from factory until a repair was made and the whole sticker lost but seeing as we have so few elk in this country I didn't miss it much

Amanda_P

May 21st, 2019, 8:09 am

Foam underneath to lift the camper body up a bit - wherever did you get that idea? Having lifted it, how are you securing the camper to the truck?

My experience has been that you shouldn’tneed any lift on that version of the Hilux. I had one, and, when stood still, everything fitted just fine. But the chassis is actually quite springy and flexible on those trucks, so that the bed, and thus the camper, moves around relative to the cab on a lumpy road. Still they shouldn’t touch, but the floor of the overcab section (which has a sheet of plywood embedded in it) tends to sag as time goes by, so that it does contact the cab roof, and quite a lot. If your Suntrekker has a leaky front window, the plywood quickly turns into soggy weetabix and significant saggage (and cab-roof-contact) certainly does occur!

I may be contacting the EBay signman...

kernowjon

May 23rd, 2019, 9:42 pm

Amanda_P wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 8:09 am
Foam underneath to lift the camper body up a bit - wherever did you get that idea? Having lifted it, how are you securing the camper to the truck?

My experience has been that you shouldn’tneed any lift on that version of the Hilux. I had one, and, when stood still, everything fitted just fine. But the chassis is actually quite springy and flexible on those trucks, so that the bed, and thus the camper, moves around relative to the cab on a lumpy road. Still they shouldn’t touch, but the floor of the overcab section (which has a sheet of plywood embedded in it) tends to sag as time goes by, so that it does contact the cab roof, and quite a lot. If your Suntrekker has a leaky front window, the plywood quickly turns into soggy weetabix and significant saggage (and cab-roof-contact) certainly does occur!

I may be contacting the EBay signman...
Amanda take it as a compliment ;) - I read all your posts and watched the videos - I read other people's posts relating to Suntrekkers too.
Using the bed whenever one of us turned we could hear the cab roof grind and sort of "ping" so up was the only way to go. Following your route we went to B&Q but the factory that makes the stuff you used has had a fire and they have no stocks. So instead we used Recticel another Eurethane insulation thing.
Fortunately we have no front window - the guy who originally fitted out this van must have either known Suntrekkers had a leaking window problem, or recognised it was a potential problem so the window "blank" was never cut out. One problem I will not have - after fighting to renew the rubbers on the windows of the smaller Romahome demountable I am glad of that!
Maybe there has been some variation in the production process because even now the clearance cab roof to luton floor is only a fag paper more than 50mm - well the thickness of an empty jiffy bag.
Fixing is by using the same hook things with longer 12mm bolts. - there is no movement and we have done nearly 100 miles.
The signman now has the "Suntrekker" listed on his website.
Jon

kernowjon

May 24th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Re the need for a "lift" today I went out and reached floor of luton to cab roof - pushing an offcut of the foam and near to the middle of the cab roof the foam was in contact with both roof and luton. So from this I think before the lift the middle of the roof had been in permanent contact with the luton.
As Sandra and I are no lightweights I have "beefed-up" the luton floor / bed-base with an extra layer of 9mm ply - the original is 12mm ply encapsulated in resin - the resin on the interior is a bit thin.
Jon

kernowjon

May 24th, 2019, 5:20 pm

kernowjon wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 5:19 pm
Re the need for a "lift" today I went out and reached floor of luton to cab roof - pushing an offcut of the foam and near to the middle of the cab roof the foam was in contact with both roof and luton. So from this I think before the lift the middle of the roof had been in permanent contact with the luton.
As Sandra and I are no lightweights I have "beefed-up" the luton floor / bed-base with an extra layer of 9mm ply - the original is 12mm ply encapsulated in resin - the resin on the interior is a bit thin.
Amanda - the logo listing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIAL-ORDE ... 2749.l2649
Jon

Amanda_P

May 30th, 2019, 9:03 am

Thanks for the link to the sign man - I’ll talk to him. I’d like my logos in a colour to match my current truck, I think.

Yes, I had a truck the same model as yours. While on a previous truck, the floor of the Luton section had rotted out and I had it replaced - with 18mm ply, I think. After that, it didn’t make continuous contact, but you could see the Luton moving about relative to the cab through the windscreen, and on big lumps, you could hear it bonking onto the cab roof. The centre of the cab roof didn’t have much paint left on it by the time I sold it - it had clearly been fretting away a lot up there. It’s quite a flexible truck, that one.

Hey, I had a Romahome before as well! (Did we already have this conversation....?)

kernowjon

May 30th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Amanda - a weird coincidence but I suppose inevitable that if you like the little Romahome you will upgrade to the slightly bigger demountable - on the bigger truck. :D
The sign man is very helpfull - I had a picture of the logo which I copied from a phot of the T4 project on here. Then Photoshopped it before sending to him I gave a size 70cm long large "S" 9mm high - as I wanted to put the logo place it is - on the rear quarter! As I had ordered a few graphics from him he gave me a 3rd as a freeby which I have put on the front window blank.
Our Luton floor was sound (no damp) but thin and springy - should I be surprised - in the little Romahome, if too much was put in the Luton the floor bowed down. Anyway the addition of a sheet of 9mm ply glued to the original 12mm appears to have "cured" all bowing - as I said Sandra and myself are not lightweights. Plus given half a chance our 34Kg lurcher Bertie will join us on the bed.
Jon

Ogden scamper

May 31st, 2019, 9:41 pm

was it the same romahome???