Air assisted suspension on trucks

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
zildjian
Site Admin

Air assisted suspension on trucks

May 6th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Many of us fit an aftermarket air bag kit to rear axle to help the trucks suspension and provide a smoother ride.

Kits are available for all popular make and model of truck here in UK & Europe and comprise pair of small airbags, their top and bottom brackets to keep airbag in place (and are fitted off cart spring below and chassis rail immediately above)

some 6mm air line and fittings sometimes push fit, sometimes better screw fittings all of which terminating in standard Schrader tyre valve fittings (for you to mount usually at back of truck near towbar or bumper)

these you attach a forecourt air line or Halfords 12v inflator kit too

Fitting may (depending on manufacturer) necessitate removal of bump stops both sides you have presently,

keep these in garage you may want to refit if you sell truck later and remove your air kit

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Air assisted suspension on trucks

May 6th, 2016, 9:55 pm

There is an option of carrying your own installed 12V compressor somewhere on the truck,

I have one under the bonnet beside engine on inner wing, its job is to replenish the 5 Gallon air tank way back inside the rear bumper

which in turn supplies air under pressure on demand to the air bags via a pair of solenoid controlled valves (under rear seat)

Compressors are rated on 'duty cycles' which mean the amount of time it can run in a cycle on/off minutes, so it can work, get hot, stop and cool down again undisturbed before being used again,
good thing is Viar compressor like one pictured feature a built in thermal device (think screen demistor)
which prevents damage by shutting it down automatically till it cools.

Compressors can be mounted pretty much anywhere in any direction but completely upside down is best avoided only because heat rises and the motor housing normally at base would be at top and doesn't dissipate heat very well

Be sure always to include the rubber feet included as they can in operation create a noise throughout car

zildjian
Site Admin

May 9th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Here is an excellent explanation from Steve at Marcle leisure, spend a couple of minutes looking this over everyone

http://www.airidesuspension.co.uk/

derestrictor

May 10th, 2016, 8:41 am

Didn't know there were alternative systems to rig air bags on back axle, interesting read that site

MrDTB

July 28th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Air bags sound like a splendid idea. And I can see any number of benefits, not just for a demountable but for the truck in general use.

I was talking to my mechanic, who suggested that the way to go was tuneable shocks (I think as well as airbags but i'm not sure) however.

His argument being that they would prevent the camper from causing the truck to roll side to side on uneven ground or in high winds.

Anyone else any experience of this or think it a good idea? I'd never heard of them before, but TBH many are things I've never heard of when it comes to those tin boxes with rubber corners.

zildjian
Site Admin

July 29th, 2016, 9:53 am

We did have a member fit some only recently to his hilux though I don't think He mentioned them since, I'll see if he can offer any suggestion, they certainly aren't something commonly done, not so say they aren't appropriate though

MrDTB

July 30th, 2016, 10:22 pm

I'd be insterested to know if he felt it was worth a good thing.

derestrictor

August 2nd, 2016, 11:40 am

think that was Meki on a toyota and he had fitted adjustable shocks i seem to recall

earthman

September 22nd, 2016, 1:04 pm

I recently fitted some to my D-Max, just went with the basic kit/set up really, I went with the suggestion of running the air hoses up to the engine bay, save having to drill any holes into the bodywork work/cab, there's no real place to mount a gauge on the dash anyhow. I just fabricated a basic bracket and bolted it to a suitable mounting point, there's enough space next to the battery so I've strapped in a small 12V compressor, made it all quick & easy to use basically. :)

David Fellowes

September 22nd, 2016, 1:36 pm

Yea thats about it, I ran one just like that on a previous truck.

A kit differs as your compressor is more powerful and might include a tank that's all but no,
That's good
I think of myself as part of the the dayshift around here :)