Tying down with Torklift fast guns

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
terakota

Tying down with Torklift fast guns

March 13th, 2016, 2:28 am

My rig was originally equipped with screw tensioners for tying the cabin down to the truck. Didn't like that system at all. It was time consuming and needed constant corrections. If you mount and demount your cabin frequently, this is the piece of equipment to invest in. Certainly the very best upgrade I made to my camper, and I am upgrading constantly. I also installed some additional led lights to make the work in narrow space easier. The switch to turn the lights on and off is mounted into the cabinet.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Tying down with Torklift fast guns

March 13th, 2016, 10:12 am

Looks just enough room to operate those in that space up front, I can see you like improving on campers design but in my opinion those LED's would have to have been switched by remote control,
given your fondness for camping in the woods I'd have thought you'd have been just the person to remotely trigger lighting from a distance for finding way home :D

Mark for example finds his way home by following the trail of screwed up pages from motorhome monthly he drops behind him

Peaky

March 13th, 2016, 11:09 am

What's the overall length of your Fastguns Jose?
The website says they are 14.5" I only need 13.5".
Did you have to modify them in any way? And if so, how did you do this?
Do you have a link of where you got them from please.
Or would the derringer handles be a better option?

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/produ ... er-handles

Andy
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

terakota

March 13th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Andy the length of my fastguns is 14,5". They are not modified in any way (mybe they were cut to achive the minimum, my friend adjusted them for me, so I am not sure). Could you somehow reposition the eye bolts? My fastguns were purchased directly from Torklift.com. The derringer handles itself have no spring built in like the fastguns have. And the spring is the key of this system. On the first picture are fast guns made by Tischer (Tischer cabins, Germany). They are not so sophisticated than Torklifts, but they are cheaper. The price for a set of four is 420€ (about half the price of Torklifts). I can check what is the overall length if you are interested in. I attached some other pictures from Slovenian demountable cabins forum.

sabconsulting

March 13th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Sadly I think Torklift have stopped selling the fastguns with the original and rather classy Winchester Repeater style handle and now do just a basic handle instead. I think the former tended to trap people's fingers. Glad you managed to get a set of the cool original ones.

Steve.

terakota

March 13th, 2016, 10:45 pm

The handle design is irrelevant, if you use them inside the trucks bed :). Got the minimum length of Tischer fastguns. It is 34cm (13,5"). A picture from Tischer catalog.

terakota

March 14th, 2016, 11:08 am

I got a photo of the derringer handle. In this case, the minimal length is about 50cm.

sabconsulting

March 14th, 2016, 6:59 pm

In fact the handle design is relevant when using inside the truck bed - I would say the new simpler design is much safer when reaching into a space like that - much less risk of trapping fingers. The fancy Winchester Repeater type only really have show-off value when visible from outside - i.e. if you have chassis-mounted tie-downs.

Steve.

terakota

March 14th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Agree. The new design is safer and more comfortable to handle. No doubt about that. The tischer's handle design is horrible, if you ask me.