4%
other
16%

Total votes: 25

zildjian
Site Admin

update

June 16th, 2015, 4:09 pm

Better, brought replacement forward to Thursday evening at home instead.
( sounds like a slot-in job around their days work & a pity they didn't do this first really)

FinAde

Re: Insurance

June 17th, 2015, 9:15 am

No amount of tape was going to save this. Only caught the corner of it too and just heard the cracks spreading across the whole thing :o

I've just spoken to National Windscreens and they apparently also deal with our insurers (Markerstudy) so are happy to replace it for just the excess. They can come tomorrow so I'm cancelling my (now 1 week) wait with Autowindscreens and going with them. Worth phoning round and not going just through the insurance co.

The camper is lowered down to the ground and I park the rear of the truck under the overhang. Just went a bit too far and at a slight angle and caught the edge of the frame.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

June 17th, 2015, 10:59 am

bugger!
oh well a cautionary tale for everyone else here then Fiona,

think of us as trailblazers, test pilots if you will.....

willyuk

July 15th, 2015, 11:47 am

Well its that time of year again and same result, I tried crusader and spoke to a very helpful young lady but all to no avail. They wanted £750 just for the Bimobil habitation cabin, apparently to reduce the cost I need 2 security devices a tracker (fitted) and a wheel lock! She fully agreed I could not have a wheel lock so perhaps I could store it in a registered secure storage facility? Well thats no blinking use is it.
Thank the lord that Camptons have got some idea of what demountables are all about. It is expensive, especially to increase the mileage from 8000 to 10000 (£120) but at least they know what is needed.
Now on to breakdown cover!! Any ideas anyone??

zildjian
Site Admin

July 15th, 2015, 11:55 am

Hilux seem a popular choice lately ;)

Sorry couldn't resist,

However i'm happy you got to speak to a human at Campton at least,
When Grant had a chassis failure skiing last year, Campton got his recovered, you might like to ask 'truedink' how that was achieved

TrueDink

July 15th, 2015, 2:23 pm

I went with Kwikfit breakdown last year. European cover for £65.

This year I'm going with the Campton breakdown cover for £60 when you take an insurance policy.

http://www.campton.co.uk/pages/breakdownscheme.aspx
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

Gary W

July 24th, 2015, 6:00 pm

We've had our personal truck insured with NFU for years. They'll happily cover you for Business use, or for just for Social, Domestic & Pleasure and the rates are as good as we've found anywhere. European breakdown cover is optional and very reasonably priced. (I think we paid around £25 for a months cover last time).

They don't offer demountable insurance as a stand alone product, BUT if you insure your house with them they do offer a very attractive 'Home & Lifestyle' insurance which includes your caravan (for which there is a classification for demountables). The whole package is very well priced and incredibly flexible and notably includes cover for the sort of stuff you actually take with you on your holidays (even your bikes).

A lot of people dismiss this option as they don't want to chop and change home insurers (and maybe get stung for a penalty for cancelling the original home policy early) but for me it's worth the effort as it seems to make perfect sense to link the two policies together. This makes even more sense where personal belongings are concerned as it's can be hard to tell if things are covered by the home, the caravan (or even not at all!).

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

MizRaff

July 26th, 2015, 10:07 am

I found exactly the same as Gary with the good ol' NFU Mutual - I have my house contents insurance with them, as well as pickup insurance, and they arranged it so that when the demountable is mounted on the pickup, it's covered on the pickup insurance as 'contents of the load bed', and when it's disconnected, it's covered on the house contents away from home bit.
Nice and simple :)

TrueDink

July 27th, 2015, 12:17 pm

UPDATE. The breakdown cover offered by Campton does not include demountables. Too good to be true.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

Rosieposie

February 15th, 2016, 2:21 pm

We have just insured our camper with the ccc after a lot of crossed wires, they said we have to have a tracker fitted also it would have to be keep on a secure site? when we insisted to talk to a manager as clearly what they were spouting was a load of tosh,
it turns out without asking us what the camper was worth,they assumed it was worth £40/60k hence the tracker etc,

We explained to them in laymen's terms what a demountable was, much to there surprise,they are insuring it for £171
So the moral of this is tell them straight away the value of your camper, we hope now after explaining to them just what a demountable is they will know what they are dealing with, might help someone else.
Campton wouldn't do it unless we insured the truck with them as well.we are happy with the ccc now we're on the same page.