Safeguard
4%
other
16%

Total votes: 25

Oly

Re: Insurance

May 6th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Just insured my pick up & camper with Camptons, hassle free excellent service, fantastic price, (£500 cheaper than NFU) highly recommend to anybody looking for insurance.

Toshbins

Re: Insurance (who sells it)

May 27th, 2016, 9:48 am

Our camper arrives at the end of June, so I've been looking at insurance. As with others on this thread, I've come up against a complete lack of knowledge and/or interest. Current insurers (Elephant) were friendly, but ultimately declined to insure the camper, and what's more disappointing, weren't prepared to continue to insure the truck with the airbag suspension fitted.
Campton have given us a good quote, so we look likely to go with them. They do require a tracker though, bearing in mind that the demountable is new.
Anyone else got experience of trackers and could recommend?

zildjian
Site Admin

May 28th, 2016, 6:52 am

If you haven't already asked, it might be worth a call again (Zildjian is always in Saturday mornings) and ask who they typically see used for this service,
that said I've not once heard of a demountable (camper only) being stolen in UK, difficult and involved to move, small market to sell through
either way We'd be interested to hear what the insurance industry suggest

Alexd

May 28th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Toshbins wrote: Campton have given us a good quote, so we look likely to go with them. They do require a tracker though, bearing in mind that the demountable is new.
so is that tracker on camper, or pickup?

Toshbins

May 29th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Alexd wrote:
Toshbins wrote: Campton have given us a good quote, so we look likely to go with them. They do require a tracker though, bearing in mind that the demountable is new.
so is that tracker on camper, or pickup?
From the conversation, I had taken it to be the camper - but when I get the quote in writing we shall see. Golum asked the same question, so maybe its the truck.

Gary W

May 31st, 2016, 5:40 pm

zildjian wrote:If you haven't already asked, it might be worth a call again (Zildjian is always in Saturday mornings) and ask who they typically see used for this service,
that said I've not once heard of a demountable (camper only) being stolen in UK, difficult and involved to move, small market to sell through
either way We'd be interested to hear what the insurance industry suggest
Sorry to say they do get stolen. We had a brand new Tischer stolen from under our noses back when we imported them. Terrible for the customer, who had to wait an age for another, but even worse for us as our insurers at the time dug out some clause showing there was no theft insurance cover whilst on its jacks. If f I ever catch the bast**d.....

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

zildjian
Site Admin

May 31st, 2016, 5:56 pm

Well thats a first for most if not all of us on here then I have to say,

might imagine the difficulty involved in stealing it and then moving it on, still

Gary W

May 31st, 2016, 6:40 pm

zildjian wrote:Well thats a first for most if not all of us on here then I have to say,

might imagine the difficulty involved in stealing it and then moving it on, still
The Police reckoned they used a lorry with its own little crane rather than a pickup. Apparently they found lorry tracks so who knows. All I know for sure was that the £25k in today's terms that little episode lost me was sorely missed over the following years.

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

zildjian
Site Admin

May 31st, 2016, 7:19 pm

Stupid thing about using a hiab on a truck is it inevitably crushes the roof at top of wall anyway as the weight of camper is more than enough to pull the straps or chains diagonally inwards up to the hook
so its bound to leak even if its tarted up for sale

might well be another (unfortunate) first for you Gary can I ask who the insurer was at that point?

Toshbins

June 2nd, 2016, 1:42 pm

Camptons have come back to me. It is the Demountable that needs the tracker.
Looking online, some caravan manufacturers fit 'Tracker', while the Caravan Club and Caravan and Camping club promote 'Cantrack'. The Cantrack is simpler - you basically forget all about it until the camper is stolen, The "Tracker' needs switching on and off the whole time, but then does have a motion sensor to trigger tracking as soon as it is moved.
Don't know if anyone else has either one fitted?