Safeguard
4%
other
16%

Total votes: 25

Chrisbb

Re: Insurance & where to get it

November 3rd, 2020, 10:23 pm

I never thought getting cover would be such an issue. I'm getting an ex-demo Ford Ranger Bimobil from Germany - for now I'm just driving the truck over with the pickup bed and wanted to get it registered here before getting the cabin. I tried about 6 insurers so far (Camptons, Adrian Flux and a few others) and only asked for cover for the Ranger for starters - I can't even get THAT covered.
Reasons being either it's a business car (Camptons) or it's not registered in the UK yet (most others) or my postcode, or that it has been modified (suspension uprated), or that it's an import - well I did get one quote from Adrian Flux: over £19,000 - no joke.
I think I need to dedicate an entire day to this - if anybody has any tips...
A few people told me that I need a UK registration first - but on the DVLA website it says I need the insurance policy to get the registration.
Does anybody know if that's true?

willf

November 16th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Hi it was the Swansea office we called but i think they put it through centrally. They class it as a kind of mobile home, put it on the home insurance and it’s done no problem at all, they seemed used to doing it.

horacebat

April 27th, 2021, 6:55 am

I didnt see this until now.

Camptons do seem to be the go to place, but as you say not including business insurance. We did get insurance on the chassis number in the end, but the UW were very keen for us to get it UK registered as soon as possible (in fact I was hounded!)

Gordmac

October 3rd, 2022, 3:13 pm

I have just got my renewal from Adrian Flux, apparently they will no longer quote for the demountable.
Has anyone discovered more companies that will quote? Anyone do the demountable on its own?

Bradders

January 23rd, 2023, 3:10 pm

I realise that this is resurrecting an old thread, but it is very useful for those of us who are just getting into the demountable side of things.
I have bought a “Wildcat” from Four Wheel Campers in Germany and I’m now trying to insure it. What a nightmare! I have had one quote from the Caravan & Camping Club which is between £700 and £800, depending on what sort of security arrangements you have; trackers, etc. Compton’s have taken all my details for a joint vehicle and camper policy, but after calling eight different companies, I’m not holding my breath.
Can anyone give me any clues as to who they use please.

zildjian
Site Admin

January 23rd, 2023, 3:46 pm

Campton have been my insurers for maybe a decade now so I'm probably biased.

Typically an insurer will want to insure both camper and truck, it's not historically proved easy to insure camper only
NFU (depending on your postcode) have been known to offer cover
members have mentioned in recent years that a tracker is often cited as a must-have though personally I've not yet heard of anyone losing a camper though theft

still, there's always a first time right.....

Bradders

January 24th, 2023, 12:14 pm

Hi Zildjian, does you Campton’s insurance cover the vehicle and the camper and also when the camper is detached and at a camp site or at home?

zildjian
Site Admin

January 24th, 2023, 8:00 pm

Yes, on & off truck, home or away as well

Expeatfarmer

March 28th, 2023, 9:23 am

We use Zurich, they cover both Silverado pick up and Lance camper in a joint and several format . We found that many companies just had no idea of what a truck camper is and wanted to insure just as a caravan or a motorhome which would leave you exposed if the two were separated at different locations.