4%
other
16%

Total votes: 25

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Insurance

March 10th, 2015, 2:11 pm

So a couple of times here its become a problem insuring a camper on a 'commercial' vehicle,
on a private pick-up its straightforward.

NFU have in the past offered cover although as their offers differ regionally it might need a few phone calls to track down an agent offering a policy.
Adrian Flux we've seen occasionally,

presumably meantime worst case I would imagine home cover could be increased to cover it on driveway, while you look around.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Truck & camper Insurance/choice & purchase

March 10th, 2015, 2:14 pm

zildjian wrote:The questions everybody needs answering.....

how to choose & attach truck to camper, so here's a quick guide using pictures to help anyone.

First your vehicle,
many of you will be using pick-ups of one sort or another and these will likely be either;
Single, King, or Double cab, and these dictate the length of camper suitable.

Generally the single cab & camper were the earlier camper combinations and although they still come up for sale on a weekly basis, the market is mostly for the larger cab vehicles for which modern campers are designed.

Campers; in simple terms your choice is either,

Pop-top

Hard-side

Either will fit any Japanese camper with little effort,
most pick-up will already have some form of load restraint hooks in each corner of the load bed,
(or you can add these readily available threaded eye bolts through camper bed instead)

and campers have a corresponding hook as well, so a connection using turnbuckles; are suitable for all but most serious of off road campers,

Bookend

March 10th, 2015, 4:21 pm

After many phone calls I have cover through the camping and caravan club club care policy.

They will only cover the demountable and not the pickup which is exactly what I wanted.

Everyone else would only cover both as a unit.

rubberrat

March 10th, 2015, 6:41 pm

What did the C&CC charge for camper only if you dont mind me asking? They looked at me as if I was trying to insure the starship Enterprise when I enquired.
I still can only have private use on my Campton policy which is a real pain.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

Bookend

March 10th, 2015, 8:06 pm

The camper was £413 which is equivalent to what we pay on our caravan. Our post code is not the best!!

It was a bit of a performance as the motorhome section said no they put me through to another section that said no. I told them to ask a supervisor who told the operator what to do and it's all sorted.

There cover is quite comprehensive and I think it's covered by the department that insure trailers and trailer tents.

Once I have the policy I'll post the details for reference.

Sheriff

March 10th, 2015, 8:37 pm

My camper is covered by C&CC. They didn't have demountable as a category so they called it a 'touring caravan (demountable)'. I got a quote from Adrian Flux who would only cover both together (as has been mentioned) and their price for the truck was astronomical.
Guy
Karosser Camp 6L
Toyota Hilux 3ltr auto

Bookend

March 10th, 2015, 9:00 pm

It's been a battle I found a few companies that would only cover the demountable with the truck while it is mounted but wouldn't provide cover once off even on a camp site!!

I don't think many people understand them one company asked if it was fitted with a wheel lock. I asked if I could take the wheels off as I was getting fed up at this point and they hung up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian flux now only cover them with a pickup as one unit. The company they passed me on to who they said could help had never herd of a demountable and weren't interested :?

Peaky

March 10th, 2015, 9:20 pm

It's good to hear that you got sorted out buddy :)
When I was ringing round last year, one company said that they'd insure it as a caravan & then continued to ask me more than once "How many axles does it have?" This was after I'd explained to them what a demountable is & even asked them to refer to a website so they could see a picture of one :lol: :lol: :lol:
As you can probably guess..........They didn't get my money ;)
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

Bookend

March 11th, 2015, 6:16 pm

It's insured as a caravan and they can only select single or twin axle but in the comments they stipulate demountable with no axles so may be worth noting if others ring them as first off I just got a no.

I can't belive how hard it was to get the cover I wanted.

If it was a self build it would have been easier!!

And I have spoken to Apollo today who are very keen to get involved with the forum and want the details when I go to collect it.

zildjian
Site Admin

March 11th, 2015, 7:39 pm

I'll add it to to FAQ on portal page, its something that needs advice now and again, on most occasions with an all private outfit it needs only one call to get cover,
anything a bit out of the ordinary though is a headache.
I won't be able to post out a flyer in time for Saturday now,

so maybe they can make do with a link if you could please Steve.

You know where we are on Saturday too if it all goes smoothly :D