4%
other
16%

Total votes: 25

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Insurance & where to get it

September 22nd, 2023, 4:35 pm

Not that I've ever heard of one being nicked.
but in terms of securing it there isn't a recognized method, if it was me I'd get local builder to fit a folding security post in front of it,
alarm and tracker is becoming standard though

Never heard of an insurer suggesting it was 'chained down' but as most insurers don't get beyond repeatedly asking for number of axles it has, I'm not really surprised.

As you'll have noticed there are a limited number of insurers offering cover on still small UK demountable market,
at home I understand you can get cover on camper as 'contents' but then that leaves transit and camp sites and often insurers prefer to cover both camper & vehicle

loriusgarrulus

September 28th, 2023, 2:32 pm

I emailed NFU office in Louth early this week. Got a reply that they would refer me to my local office. I heard nothing so went in person to the local office. Door locked you had to page on the intercom. Eventually someone came down to let me in.
When I got round to telling then what I wanted to insure they would only insure it if the house was insured with them. As my house insurance just renewed in August and I am happy with my current insurers, thats not happening.
In the meantime I got a very nice tracker off Amazon being careful to get a 4G one as 2G I am assured is going offline despite there still being 2G trackers for sale.
It was simple to set up and shows me on a map where the tracker is and where its been and sends me messages if it moves outside a geofence I set up. It was based on the KlSS principle so even I could set it up. 🤷‍♀️
Just need to find a way off chaining the camper down and I can go back to the CCC.👍🏻
Growing old disgracefully

zildjian
Site Admin

September 28th, 2023, 4:34 pm

Hmm, As legs are detachable they wouldn't be a point to padlock it, I don't know what owners in other countries do for anti-theft as Ive not yet seen or heard of any provision like a fixed locking point being built in
so I think it just comes down to a product not easily moved on by thieves,

I mean they'd have to go with a pickup and most of the likely thieving paternity mostly own transit vans

loriusgarrulus

September 28th, 2023, 5:20 pm

That reminds me.

Years ago my Daughter had split from her partner so to cheer her up we took her and the Grandchildren on holiday. I took my Daughter and the Grandchildren in my car and Andrew was following with the 20ft caravan we had at the time towing it with his White LWB high top Movano van.
We got to the caravan site ahead of the van and booked in.
Where we were we could see the entrance. Andrew turned up and the site warden wouldn't open the barrier for him and was waving him away. I had to go over and explain it was my husband and he had to show his membership card. Apparently they had had trouble earlier that week with the white van caravan club trying to get on site.
This was not helped by the fact that Andrew used to tan very brown in Summer and had dark slightly curly long hair at that time.

zildjian
Site Admin

September 28th, 2023, 6:12 pm

Infestation of camping sites has become a 'thing' in recent years, on that note;

when you book to visit site and are asked in which vehicle, try our method and call it a 'Toyota camper'
as (like insurance brokers) trying to explain a 'demountable' over the phone will cause undue concern :)

loriusgarrulus

October 16th, 2023, 7:12 am

Finally got the camper insured with the Camping and Caravan Club. They don't insist on trackers and alarms and chaining for the caravan which far more get nicked. Why for the camper. 🤷‍♀️
The caravan has got a hitchlock and wheel clamp on, but no tracker or alarm.

The camper is insured under a folding caravan and trailer tent policy, as they don't have a section for Demountables, but they understand its a demountable and it is listed as a Nomad Camper.

Bradders

March 13th, 2024, 1:15 pm

Hey loriusgarrulus what did you end up paying for the insurance on your rig with the C&CC? I renewed mine with C&CC in Feb '24 at a cost of £884.98!! That was for a Wildcat - 4 Wheel Camper. It is from Germany and is equivalent to the Fleet version in the States.
I have had to have a tracker and proximaty alarm fitted.