The Gas Thread

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: The Gas Thread

January 26th, 2015, 10:10 pm

on a scale of 1-10
how difficult would say that was (the window)
I would love to do that but really apprehensive at cutting the hole and it leaking

claudius

January 26th, 2015, 10:23 pm

zildjian wrote:on a scale of 1-10
how difficult would say that was (the window)
I would love to do that but really apprehensive at cutting the hole and it leaking
For me there was no technical difficulties but before drilling the first hole, i had to check again and again all my measures.
I was sweating afraid of the consequences of an error ! But fortunately, i have got no leaks.
Nissan Navara D22 2003
Tischer Trail 260S 2003

zildjian
Site Admin

January 26th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Would you have any images of the work ?

claudius

January 26th, 2015, 10:47 pm

I didn't take any pictures of this work, unfortunately
Nissan Navara D22 2003
Tischer Trail 260S 2003

rubberrat

February 2nd, 2015, 5:02 pm

Nice addition to the thread claudius. I really must sort out a refillable system when I can find a 6kg bottle. I had an 11kg(?) one but there was no way it would go in through the locker door of my SKarosser so I sold it.

Your racking for the fillers beats my blue wash-bag!
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

Tony&Kika

Gas in France

April 12th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Hi folks, We are off to France in june for 2 months and have heard we won't be able to get our calor bottles filled. I was thinking of taking just one small cylinder and then getting a French type cylinder and fitting a french regulator when we need to change over. Any other ideas? I know we could get a permanently plumbed tank which is filled at a filling station. Has anybody done this? Thanks, Tony H

saDgit

Re: Gas in France

April 13th, 2015, 8:25 am

Hi Tony,
If you've got the space I'd recommend fitting a refillable cylinder - Gaslow do an excellent system with all the necessary parts. When we had our S.Karosser EC8L which had space for two 6kg cylinders I fitted one Gaslow cylinder and one Calor lightweight which gave us the best of both worlds.

In the 4 or 5 years we had the camper using it all year and over several thousand miles we never even managed to get half way through the Calor cylinder - autogas is so easily available over most of Europe that we were always able to refill the Gaslow bottle whenever we needed to. Fitting a Gaslow system is fairly simple and straightforward. It just requires care and a methodical approach but, as always with gas, if you're not sure of what you're doing it may be best to get it done for you.

Again it depends on what space you've got in your gas locker but if you're able to fit a fixed, wall-mounted regulator (which I believe are now all made to a European standard. There's one visible in the photo just behind the Calor bottle.) you won't need to change the regulator in order to change to a French cylinder. At most you might need to get a different hose but I suspect not even that would be necessary.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

rubberrat

April 13th, 2015, 2:11 pm

I'll go with the Gaslow option too as we tend to travel through half a dozen countries in any one trip and all countries are different.
If you don't want the expensive then try some of these ideas that kept us going with just two standard 6 kg Calor Lites for two months. (I sold our 9kg Gaslow kit as it wouldn't fit in the locker and couldn't get a 6kg replacement at the right price before we headed south)

Its all about gas conservation...
First off, abroard you'll be cooking outside a lot, so take a couple of petrol coleman stoves. Petrol available everywhere. Saves lots of gas.
Take a small electric kettle, the low wattage things for your morning cup of coffee. Take a small one ring electric hob, most campsites have a kitchen area with plugs so you can cook bigger things there. (I have a two ring one for sale if interested - Its a bit big to carry, hence selling it and buying a one ring - £23 posted)

Consider taking a Camping Gaz 907 cylinder and the required regulator and pigtail. Camping Gaz is available throughout France. Tip 2 here, buy an empty bottle from Gumtree near you for about £5 instead of forking out £30 cylinder hire then get it refilled.

That will get you out of trouble.

On our last two month run we didn't need the Gaz option and returned home with over half of one of our 6kg Lites still full.

Gaslow kit is around £135
Watch this one on ebay at £80 as I type in Reading... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gaslow-6kl-/2 ... 3cf722264f
Coleman stoves are expensive new but can be picked up for around £30 each (Sportster - small and easy to pack)
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

richc

April 26th, 2015, 12:00 am

Gas it are also a good alternative that I've used, on my old camper it took me 45 minutes to install , plus a 24 hour wait for a calor - gas it convertor. They also sell all the converters you will need to connect in different parts of europe but by them off the gas it shop on ebay as they are cheaper ! (when i bought mine they were out of stock on the website but got them 2 days later off the ebay shop.... go figure !

The problem with alot of demountables is that the gas lockers are just too short for 6 kg bottles by a matter of 3-5 cm's so you are stuck with 3.9's , apollo suffers from this.

Rich

Tony&Kika

Gas in France

May 17th, 2015, 10:19 pm

Hi fund of all knowledge demountable, We are off to France next week. We have room for two small calor bottles. Should I just take one so I can buy a French type and regulator, or take them both filled and assume I will get the calors filled/exchanged? Thanks, Tony