Fitting a 'Bully' cargo net

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
rubberrat

Fitting a 'Bully' cargo net

September 22nd, 2014, 1:06 pm

Our truck works best (and saves a lot of weight) if we take the tailgate off when we fit the demountable. Not a big job so happy to do it, but when we are away for extended trips, it would be nice to have something to stop the shopping boxes escaping when the camper is left on the site!

Our stateside friends use these Bully nets - supposedly as a fuel saver (less weight and less drag = less fuel used - but wouldn't get too excited about that claim. Might save a dollar a year)

We use a Lidl trailer net with reasonable success but fancy something better.

These nets are are hard to find in the UK though (at sensible money) They are about £50 here, £20 in the US but postage is as much again. Has anyone found a suitable UK supplier?

I found one on Ebay a few weeks ago in the States with UK postage

What have you guys used when the demountable is off and away from home?

They seem to never mention measured size on either the boxes or ads, just Mini Midi or Standard (that's USA standard - huge!) but FYI this one was marked 'For Mid Sized Trucks' and it is 50" wide (1270mm) x 15" high (380mm) exactly right for my Chevy / Isuzu truck so likely to be right for yours too.

So I set about fitting it last week..

This is what is in the box

It was offered up to see where is best to fit it. My truck is awkward in that I need to lift the buck liner out as it's 10mm too narrow at the arches, so the clips for the net will go in a small void between the plastic liner and the factory steel buck.

Three buckle clips to fit on each side, mark, drill and fix with the supplied self tapping machine screws.

Buckle the net into place..

And Voila!

The dog reckons he doesn’t fancy being in the back!
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Fitting a 'Bully' cargo net

September 22nd, 2014, 1:14 pm

Does it prevent small items from escaping underneath, the one I contrived needed a piece of carbon-fibre rod along base to add some rigidity otherwise looks good

8/10

rubberrat

September 22nd, 2014, 1:22 pm

Small things....like mice? or biscuits? No, but boxes of shopping / crates of beer / bodies rolled in carpets etc will still be there when I get back to the site.

It's quite a 'tight stretched' fit if that makes sense, so anything bigger than the gap at the bottom as seen should be held, It won't flex too much to make the gap enlarge.

I'll still drop my green cargo net over anything that might get blown about as a bit of belt'n'braces.

The Bully net has a label stating that it mustn't be used to hold in loads, people or animals, but I always think that the Plod (particularly overzealous French Plod) will always stop me if my stuff in the back looks insecure, with this it looks 'proper' and should anything escape whatever box or whatever I have in the back, it should still be there at journeys end.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

September 22nd, 2014, 2:30 pm

Was cheating really with mine, I discovered that strips of wood etc were liable to escape,
also (foolishly) the manufacturers failed to allow sufficient stretchiness to allow me to reverse under camper without first having removed net

this was an inept oversight in my opinion and one I hope my letters of complaint have corrected

hrummph