Bimobil Import??

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
horacebat

Re: Bimobil Import??

September 5th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Hi Chris,

No problem, glad to be able to share experiences.

I've only registered the truck in the UK, the camper bit on the back is demountable, and as such can move on and off, and the DVLA doesn't seem to be that worried about it, or the insurance company (they know about the demountable bit and it's covered).

When I registered the truck with the DVLA, it was a pretty simple job, it took around 3 - 4 weeks, but once I had an MOT and the Certificate it was a breeze.

When I lived in Zone 2, my insurance was still only 400 quid parked in the road, so even though it was a LHD, it wasn't over the top. Now we live down in Kent, it's gone down a bit. Driving a LHD isn't so much of a pain, we've been away this weekend and it's not a problem, and as we spend quite a lot of time abroad, driving on the other side of the road.

If you want to keep it simple though, I'd take a UK vehicle across and get them to fit the rear .. but you may pay a bit more for it, and it may be a bit more difficult to get a second hand unit as they're generally paired with a truck already. If it's a new one, then it shouldnt be a problem. (but you will be paying a premium).

Let us know whatever you end up with ..

Chrisbb

September 13th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Thanks for your toughts Horacebat - that's really good to know!
Sorry for the delay in replying - I just spent some time in Germany and also visited the Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf to have a look at both, Bimobil and Burow. They are both really amazing vehicles, but I'm leaning a little bit towards Bimobil - aesthetics being a big reason, having real wood and that big rear window next to the dining table is very appealing.
But most importantly an ex-demo vehicle that I was previously told is not available has just popped up again and not having to wait 2.5 years is a very big selling point as well, so I put my name down on that beast:-))
It comes with a 3.2l TDCI Ford Ranger base vehicle - I would have preferred to buy a vehicle in the UK, but hey...
Gonna go to Munich in 2 weeks time to test drive it and hopefully sign the deal :D
And then Horacebat's detailed report of how they went about importing their Bimobil from Germany will come in really handy!!!
What's great is also that Bimobil would be able to add most extras we want as it's pretty barebone at the moment and get it all done before the UK crashes out of the EU and us having to pay 10% import tax!
I shall report back soon...
C-:

horacebat

September 13th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Wow .. that's brilliant news, really pleased for you. Please do reply back with what youve bought, and what options you went for!

The husky with the 3 berth configuration with the seats at the back really are brilliant. Only other bit of advice, make sure you oil the hinges, mine are bug***d and need to be replaced, which will probably be a road trip to Munich.

good luck and please let us know how you get on.

PB.

Chrisbb

April 26th, 2021, 11:57 pm

Thanks for the advice with the hinges @horacebat! Did you manage to find a solution for yours?

I actually did it - picked up the Ranger in November and then the cabin in December - super excited!
We even managed to spend Christmas in Germany with it and tour some empty beaches in Normandy on the way back - until we ran out of gas - more about that in a separate thread...
This vehicle in the photo is actually the one we bought - ex-demo: https://www.bimobil.com/en/modell/bimobil-husky-230/
Just had a few extras added, like big alcoven roof window, alcoven side window, longer bench, airline rails to mount small sun sail, LiFePo batterie and Votronic inverter.
Weight is definitely an issue and we're very close to 3.5t all the time. But at least the Ranger has the old 3.2l engine and enough power :-)
Right now we're unfortunately grounded as it took the VCA 3 months to issue the certificate of mutual recognition and now I'm waiting for the DVLA - the German export plates expired in early March:-(
Can't wait to start travelling!!!
IMG_0606.jpg

horacebat

April 27th, 2021, 6:58 am

Don't worry, it'll all be worth it once you got there!

Sounds like you have a beast!, mines on a 2.5TDi Mistsibushi, and that's not quick but good enough.

My hinges are still buggered, we just havent opened the rear door for a bit!, it's on the to do list!