Truck & camper Insurance/choice & purchase

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides

Truck & camper Insurance/choice & purchase

Postby zildjian » 21 Aug 2014 21:26

The questions everybody needs answering.....

how to choose & attach truck to camper, so here's a quick guide using pictures to help anyone.

First your vehicle,
many of you will be using pick-ups of one sort or another and these will likely be either;
Single, King, or Double cab, and these dictate the length of camper suitable.

Generally the single cab & camper were the earlier camper combinations and although they still come up for sale on a weekly basis, the market is mostly for the larger cab vehicles for which modern campers are designed.

Campers; in simple terms your choice is either,

Pop-top

Hard-side

Either will fit any Japanese camper with little effort,
most pick-up will already have some form of load restraint hooks in each corner of the load bed,
(or you can add these readily available threaded eye bolts through camper bed instead)

and campers have a corresponding hook as well, so a connection using turnbuckles; are suitable for all but most serious of off road campers,

zildjian
Site Admin

Vehicle: Hilux/SKarosser

Re: Truck & camper FAQ's

Postby zildjian » 22 Aug 2014 09:34

Air bag kit on rear axle

Although your pickup is well within its weight limit carrying a camper, fitting a kit from the supplier listed will correct the slight lowering of vehicle that carrying a camper almost always causes;

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/-c ... 77458b11fe

Noticeably improving the ride on the road and cornering, lowers the headlight beam properly back on the road ahead and most agree completes the couple of mods needed.
Kit comprise a pair of air bags to bolt above rear axle,

some push fit piping and fittings terminating in a pair of tyre type valves these are where you add/remove air,
either on a forecourt or carry a cheap tyre inflator powered off the cigarette lighter socket.

Typically around 5-600 pounds, rising if you wish to include built in gauges/controls/compressor (though bit posh really and not necessary)

Installation is medium difficult but can be tackled by any garage though in an hour or so
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Truck & camper FAQ's

Postby zildjian » 25 Aug 2014 19:18

Insurance

Campton insurance Surrey, http://www.campton.co.uk/
01883 742460

As you can see not a call centre in Bangalore but a personal service!

had a policy with them now for a couple of years, used it once and they were quick to sort out my claim.

Insure the truck, truck & camper or camper standing outside on its own so seemingly pretty comprehensive
zildjian
Site Admin

Additional towing plug (electrical)

Postby zildjian » 25 Aug 2014 19:25

Grey plug

In addition to the normal electrical towing plug alongside towbar usually,

camper benefits from additional socket or 'grey plug' it offers a further supply of power to things like Fridge, Leisure battery charging on the road and possibly reversing lights as well
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Truck & camper Insurance/choice & purchase

Postby zildjian » 10 Mar 2015 15:14

zildjian wrote:The questions everybody needs answering.....

how to choose & attach truck to camper, so here's a quick guide using pictures to help anyone.

First your vehicle,
many of you will be using pick-ups of one sort or another and these will likely be either;
Single, King, or Double cab, and these dictate the length of camper suitable.

Generally the single cab & camper were the earlier camper combinations and although they still come up for sale on a weekly basis, the market is mostly for the larger cab vehicles for which modern campers are designed.

Campers; in simple terms your choice is either,

Pop-top

Hard-side

Either will fit any Japanese camper with little effort,
most pick-up will already have some form of load restraint hooks in each corner of the load bed,
(or you can add these readily available threaded eye bolts through camper bed instead)

and campers have a corresponding hook as well, so a connection using turnbuckles; are suitable for all but most serious of off road campers,

zildjian
Site Admin

For camper insurance ONLY

Postby zildjian » 11 Mar 2015 20:48

For those running Company owned pickup and require insurance on camper ONLY

'bookend' secured insurance using Camping and caravan club insurance

Note; be persistent with them! ask for a supervisor if needed as it's a bit complicated for their advisors
for further reading see HERE
zildjian
Site Admin

Postby earthman » 26 Apr 2015 16:47

I have a question about insurance, the wife & I would be buying an Hilux to use as our daily drive and the camper unit would only be attached when we go away on holidays/weekend away's so do we have the choice of two different types of 'driving vehicles' polices to start with or is the camper unit seen as a separate thing? Best to insure that totally separately, like a caravan I guess??

Another thing, I've never had to insure a vehicle for 'business' use, can anyone give me a rough idea on how much more that is than for 'social & domestic' use? I really don't know what the future holds so I'm thinking that when we move house etc, I may have to become self employed and use the Hilux to be able to earn some money,....I really don't know what kind of job I'd be doing, I guess that makes a big difference to the premium?
earthman

Vehicle: Isuzu D-Max

Postby Peaky » 26 Apr 2015 17:11

earthman wrote:I have a question about insurance, the wife & I would be buying an Hilux to use as our daily drive and the camper unit would only be attached when we go away on holidays/weekend away's so do we have the choice of two different types of 'driving vehicles' polices to start with or is the camper unit seen as a separate thing? Best to insure that totally separately, like a caravan I guess??

Another thing, I've never had to insure a vehicle for 'business' use, can anyone give me a rough idea on how much more that is than for 'social & domestic' use? I really don't know what the future holds so I'm thinking that when we move house etc, I may have to become self employed and use the Hilux to be able to earn some money,....I really don't know what kind of job I'd be doing, I guess that makes a big difference to the premium?

I've just renewed my combined Business & camper insurance with Campton's. It covers me for 15k miles per year & covers the truck for my business or leisure mileage & the camper if it's loaded on to the truck or demounted on a site or my driveway. For the privilege of the flexibility they have just charged me a staggering £870.00 Fully Comp :shock:
I asked them if they could reduce it any way & they suggested cutting the yearly mileage down to 10k which would save me a whole £30.00 :cry:
So I therefore stuck with the 15k per year, When I quizzed him that some folks on here are paying a lot less for truck / demountable insurance with them. He just said everybody is different & didn't really want to help any more despite me pointing out their ad banner on the forum :roll: :roll:
It's a good job I can claim the cost through my business & sort of semi justify it that way :)
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0
Peaky

Vehicle: Navara/Skarosser

Steve have a read of this thread

Postby zildjian » 26 Apr 2015 17:15

zildjian
Site Admin

Postby earthman » 27 Apr 2015 21:18

Thanks guys,....have any of you come from a 'normal' motorhome or caravan then? How did you find the premium in comparison to them?? I'll have to check with the wife because ours is actually insured in her name but I think it's just under £300 fully comp.
earthman

Vehicle: Isuzu D-Max

Return to Popular Q's & buyers guides