Safeguard
4%
other
16%

Total votes: 25

Sheriff

Re: Insurance

April 20th, 2015, 5:19 pm

I should have known, far too simple - I got my CC and C&CCs mixed up. It turns out the Green Flag scheme is through the Caravan Club and I'm not a member, so that would be and extra £46 for membership. So I've taken out RAC personal breakdown cover for me and wife via Camping and Caravanning Club on any car including motorhome £116. This also means I can cancel existing breakdown cover I've got on other vehicles. Demountables not a problem they say.
Guy
Karosser Camp 6L
Toyota Hilux 3ltr auto

Sheriff

April 22nd, 2015, 5:53 pm

Having got combined truck / camper insurance from Campton, I rang my existing Truck insurer (Budget) to cancel the auto-renewal of my policy and had an 'interesting' conversation. When they asked why I was not renewing with them I explained that I was getting combined cover with my camper which works out cheaper, having firstly explained what a demountable is. The woman said OK fine, you'll still be covered till 8th May when your policy expires "as long as you don't use it as a motor home, in which case you won't be covered".

I didn't query this as it's history now, but does this mean I have not been covered all this year when the demountable was loaded? I would argue that it is more analogous to carrying a caravan than using it as a motorhome, but I wouldn't like to end up in court following a claim trying to make this argument stick. I'm OK now as I've got unambiguous truck/camper insurance, but if truck is insured separately I think you should be very sure the insurers know what you use it for so they can't repudiate a claim later on this basis.
Guy
Karosser Camp 6L
Toyota Hilux 3ltr auto

zildjian
Site Admin

April 23rd, 2015, 9:05 am

And why the majority of us have gone with Campton generally,

I've certainly had a few conversations like that and it doesn't fill you with confidence at point of sale,

less so the prospect of repeating explanation following a claim

earthman

Re: Truck & camper Insurance/choice & purchase

April 26th, 2015, 3:47 pm

I have a question about insurance, the wife & I would be buying an Hilux to use as our daily drive and the camper unit would only be attached when we go away on holidays/weekend away's so do we have the choice of two different types of 'driving vehicles' polices to start with or is the camper unit seen as a separate thing? Best to insure that totally separately, like a caravan I guess??

Another thing, I've never had to insure a vehicle for 'business' use, can anyone give me a rough idea on how much more that is than for 'social & domestic' use? I really don't know what the future holds so I'm thinking that when we move house etc, I may have to become self employed and use the Hilux to be able to earn some money,....I really don't know what kind of job I'd be doing, I guess that makes a big difference to the premium?

Peaky

April 26th, 2015, 4:11 pm

earthman wrote:I have a question about insurance, the wife & I would be buying an Hilux to use as our daily drive and the camper unit would only be attached when we go away on holidays/weekend away's so do we have the choice of two different types of 'driving vehicles' polices to start with or is the camper unit seen as a separate thing? Best to insure that totally separately, like a caravan I guess??

Another thing, I've never had to insure a vehicle for 'business' use, can anyone give me a rough idea on how much more that is than for 'social & domestic' use? I really don't know what the future holds so I'm thinking that when we move house etc, I may have to become self employed and use the Hilux to be able to earn some money,....I really don't know what kind of job I'd be doing, I guess that makes a big difference to the premium?
I've just renewed my combined Business & camper insurance with Campton's. It covers me for 15k miles per year & covers the truck for my business or leisure mileage & the camper if it's loaded on to the truck or demounted on a site or my driveway. For the privilege of the flexibility they have just charged me a staggering £870.00 Fully Comp :shock:
I asked them if they could reduce it any way & they suggested cutting the yearly mileage down to 10k which would save me a whole £30.00 :cry:
So I therefore stuck with the 15k per year, When I quizzed him that some folks on here are paying a lot less for truck / demountable insurance with them. He just said everybody is different & didn't really want to help any more despite me pointing out their ad banner on the forum :roll: :roll:
It's a good job I can claim the cost through my business & sort of semi justify it that way :)
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

earthman

April 27th, 2015, 8:18 pm

Thanks guys,....have any of you come from a 'normal' motorhome or caravan then? How did you find the premium in comparison to them?? I'll have to check with the wife because ours is actually insured in her name but I think it's just under £300 fully comp.

cthodgson

May 9th, 2015, 9:58 am

I've finally got around to insuring the new unit - I only seemed to remember about it when I was half way on a long drive.

After reading this thread I went with http://www.crusaderinsurance.co.uk/ as I already have the truck insured with Aviva. I told them I would use it to travel to jobs with but not use it for work which they are fine with and I also got 180 days European cover.

Price was £310.49 or £265.60 with Caravan Club membership.

They new exactly what a demountable was and it was a relatively easy process.

Truck through Aviva cost £292 for business use, 20000 miles and trips up to 90 days in Europe for a total of 6 months of the year.

zildjian
Site Admin

May 12th, 2015, 3:00 pm

I've added a poll to header of page here, would you all mind casting your vote for an insurer

thanks people :mrgreen:

zildjian
Site Admin

May 12th, 2015, 3:02 pm

and If I've missed an insurer, could you mention their name here or mail me please and i'll add it