Tailgate removal

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
zildjian
Site Admin

Tailgate removal

July 30th, 2017, 11:57 am

Substantial lump of steel (around 20KG)
in terms of support it adds little benefit to camper, most of us remove them to decrease weight at rear of vehicle

Some tailgates have a camera installed, some have a third brake light too, most have check-straps or chains to prevent them falling completely open onto rear bumper, most of them are held on by a couple of bolts either end
and a multi plug for anything powered inside.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Alexd

Re: Tailgate removal

July 30th, 2017, 8:44 pm

a shame the rear view camera cannot be left in place when using a camper too really

Alexd

August 4th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Our service van has a clever move-able 'wall' in the back allows heavy cabinet fitters tools in roll boxes to be pushed against it or pull some of these pins out of looting holes in floor to carry large finished items (desks, cabinets etc)

something like the smaller of these two

Amanda_P

August 1st, 2018, 3:20 pm

[quote="zildjian"

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum[/quote]

I've been removing my trucks' tailgates for years in order to mount up my Suntrekker. On my first truck, a Ford P100, I devised something very similar to the springy pin in the video (the alternative would have been removing an access plate and unbolting one of the pins fixed through the bodywork from inside the tail light opening every time).

My Hiluxes, though, have had a much simper arrangement, with a simple bolt going through a tab in the tailgate, then through a top-hat washer into the side of the truck body, where there's a threaded receiver. I don't mind simply unscrewing the bolts; it's easy enough*.

But my new Hilux has a high-level reversing light in the tailgate, and of course there's a cable connecting this to the truck's electrics. I'm going to need to add a connector. Does anyone have any recommendations for a robust, waterproof connector I can insert to make the tailgate readily removable?

*But I've learned that these bolts have an unusual and inscrutable Japanese thread size. If you lose one of these bolts, it's virtually impossible to get replacements - even Toyota dealers can't seem to get them. However, you can drill out the holes slightly and re-tap for (I think) M10 bolts, which are almost the same size but a completely different thread pitch, and can be readily liberated from any farm workshop. Guess how I know this...

zildjian
Site Admin

August 1st, 2018, 4:44 pm

Actually I managed to lose one the other summer and had trouble finding a replacement now you mention it,
I do intend looking at spring loaded bolt but only thing then is some wag walking off with complete tailgate!

No I thnik I'm happy to spend a couple of minutes with ratchet unbolting it each time for now