What Tyres Are you Using?

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Madmountainman

What Tyres Are you Using?

April 22nd, 2016, 2:26 pm

There are a fair few comments on tyres here on the forum, with BFGoodrich AT's receiving a lot of praise. However, they are one of the most expensive tyres you can fit on a 4X4, so how's about hearing of any alternatives.

I've spotted these Cooper Discoverers - https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/ ... 17r-412810 - with the same load rating as the AT's, but come in at £60 each cheaper. If I can find a nice set of 2nd hand wheels to fit my truck, I think i'll give these a go.

Peaky

Re: What Tyres Are you Using?

April 22nd, 2016, 4:34 pm

Not only are you getting an excellent branded tyre with the BFG but your also betting plenty of longevity.
I got over 50k out of the set that were on my last Navara when I sold it & they were still going strong ;)
So, what you have to ask yourself is. At 60quid per tyre cheaper. Will they last the distance ???
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

sabconsulting

April 22nd, 2016, 6:13 pm

Also make sure the tires have a good load rating. I forget what mine our in European numbers, but they are load range D in the US rating. So at least load range D, or possibly E.

I haven't used that model of Cooper Discoverer, but I have driven a camper with the STT model in southern Africa and they were very good, but more aggressive for offroad use.

Steve.

Big Jim

April 22nd, 2016, 7:11 pm

I think I have a different view point . I expect AT tyres have pretty strong sidewalls , but a puncture there , which I have had on a car , and it's time to buy another . I think the amount I use the truck I would reach their 7 year life before I wear out the tread . How much offroading do you all do ? I am pretty limited , only having 2x4 so for 99% of the time a road tyre is good for me .

sabconsulting

April 23rd, 2016, 9:50 am

Big Jim wrote:I think I have a different view point . I expect AT tyres have pretty strong sidewalls , but a puncture there , which I have had on a car , and it's time to buy another . I think the amount I use the truck I would reach their 7 year life before I wear out the tread . How much offroading do you all do ? I am pretty limited , only having 2x4 so for 99% of the time a road tyre is good for me .
True - sidewall punctures are pretty much game over. A friend in the US managed to plug a huge hole for long enough to drive out of a desert - but side wall repairs are for emergencies only.

However, one point about the stronger sidewalls is to prevent sidewall damage in the first place, especially when aired down.

Even though you have 4x2 you could still benefit from having more aggressively tread pattered rear tires. With the weight of the camper over the rear axle and probably a limited slip differential, couple that with something like Cooper Discoverer STTs on the rear and you would probably have more offroad capability than an unladen 4x4 truck on road tyres. Something to consider when you have to change tyres.

Even if you don't intentionally plan to drive offroad, the ability to get yourself off a wet sloping campsite or a grass verge is really useful. A few weeks ago we camped at a site where the grass was very soft. We drove onto and off of the grass in rear wheel drive, with the rear all terrain tyres giving us all the grip we needed. A couple in a van-based camper got instantly stuck and had to be winched off.

Steve.

Gary W

April 23rd, 2016, 12:43 pm

sabconsulting wrote:Also make sure the tires have a good load rating. I forget what mine our in European numbers, but they are load range D in the US rating. So at least load range D, or possibly E.

I haven't used that model of Cooper Discoverer, but I have driven a camper with the STT model in southern Africa and they were very good, but more aggressive for offroad use.

Steve.

Unless you have a VERY small camper and travel very light we'd recommend a minimum European load index rating of 112. That's somewhere between the American D & E ratings Steve mentioned above. Remember that the tyre's ability to carry this load depends 100% on having the correct tyre pressure though, typically 70/80psi (it's written on the tyre). When running unloaded you will almost certainly need to reduce the pressure significantly, typically to around 30/35psi.
Remember also that the tyre inflation information on the tyres takes precedence over that found on the truck - that information relates to the factory fitted tyres. Prolonged running with too low pressure WILL damage the sidewalls. Not might, will. You can't see it outside but it will happen. Once that happens you are on borrowed time and eventually, and without warning, the tyre will fail.
Damage through under inflation or overloading is often visible inside the tyre so If anybody reading this suspects they may have done so I urge you to have your tyres checked by an expert.

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

Big Jim

April 23rd, 2016, 7:20 pm

I am very limited to which tyre . Mine are 205 75 R 14 C load 107 . As far as I can see there don't seem to be any choices for "off road" tyres or heavier load .

sabconsulting

April 24th, 2016, 10:19 am

Big Jim wrote:I am very limited to which tyre . Mine are 205 75 R 14 C load 107 . As far as I can see there don't seem to be any choices for "off road" tyres or heavier load .
Ouch - I see your difficulty there. These days everything comes with wider and larger diameter tyres. Given that configuration it probably isn't worth putting much effort into going to other tyres sizes. You'd probably end up having to fit larger wheels, then there is the issue of the offset of those wheels which might mean fitting different wheel arches. Then the larger tyre / wheel diameter could cause you to need a suspension lift, or more likely will cause performance problems because of the higher gearing. So probably best not to start down that road (cheaper to trade in the pickup truck for a later one :o ).

On the plus side your truck is single-cab isn't it, so the weight of the camper is shared a bit more with the front axle than on a double-cab pick-up where the rear axle is carrying all the load. So the lower load rating is probably less of a problem.

Steve.

Big Jim

April 24th, 2016, 10:51 am

I have the supercab .
205 65 16 would give me a similar circumference , but it is a lot of effort and expense to achieve it and still may give me clearance issues . Hopefully one of you guys will be around to pull me out ?

Gary W

April 24th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Your best course of action would be to nip along to the nearest weigh bridge and establish exactly what axle loadings you need to deal with. With a 4x2 and a 1.5 cab truck you may be worrying abut nothing.

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu