European Breakdown Cover

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
cthodgson

European Breakdown Cover

April 13th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Has anyone heard of or used Driver Guardian for breakdown cover?
Driver Guardian

I've ruled out the AA and RAC because our trip length goes over the magic 90 day deadline that they all seem to have for annual cover and single trip is nearly £500 with the AA (and have very narrow limits for length and height which meant a jobsworth could refuse to fix us). I then went to Red Pennant which is through the caravan club and as you can only book a caravan/motorhome or trailer tent online I called the help line to be told they couldn't cover us as if something happened to the pickup demounted then repatriating the camper would be a pain. They were also expensive.

I then found DriverGuardian and as they list motorhome/campervan/van separately I called them up and they said to put down as a campervan - sorted for £99 which also gives you annual UK breakdown cover. Seems a bargain to me, and a well reviewed one, but often bargains are too good to be true.....

horacebat

Re: European Breakdown Cover

April 24th, 2016, 9:21 pm

I was looking at an ADAC account, but it looks like they only do German membership these days.

Also my cars are covered by Green flag and the bank .. as the demountable is now classed as a PLG (car) we should be covered!

Gary W

April 24th, 2016, 9:57 pm

horacebat wrote:I was looking at an ADAC account, but it looks like they only do German membership these days.

Also my cars are covered by Green flag and the bank .. as the demountable is now classed as a PLG (car) we should be covered!
Sounds like you have it covered, but if you ever need it you can join and take out ADAC cover outside of Germany, but you have to phone, you can't do it online. Naturally they speak perfect English...

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

Que

April 25th, 2016, 6:44 pm

We use Greenflag.

Tried and tested, at least in the UK, marvellous. We got stuck in Wareham forest, truck would not come out of 4 wheel drive low. Only downside was once the mechanic had thrown in the glove, we had to wait for a few hours for a low loader lorry to be available which had to take us home via the HGV routes as we exceeded 15 feet in height. However it was a glorious day and we had pulled into a forest clearing to wait for the tech to find us ( very quickly) and once we knew we had a few hours to kill whilst the low loader made its way to us we brewed up and did a full english and enjoyed the sunshine.
Nissan D40 KingCab
Apollo Demountable
Weston-Super-Mare

horacebat

April 25th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Gary W wrote:
horacebat wrote:I was looking at an ADAC account, but it looks like they only do German membership these days.

Sounds like you have it covered, but if you ever need it you can join and take out ADAC cover outside of Germany, but you have to phone, you can't do it online. Naturally they speak perfect English...

Best wishes

Gary
thats good advice... thanks Gary

Madmountainman

July 10th, 2016, 1:17 pm

How much is the ADAC and what country(ies) does it cover and, more importantly, will they provide cover to a non EU country? ;)

Gary W

July 11th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Madmountainman wrote:How much is the ADAC and what country(ies) does it cover and, more importantly, will they provide cover to a non EU country? ;)
Cost is around €110 for PLUS membership for you and your spouse (it's not the vehicle, its the member that's covered) and it covers you anywhere in Europe and I'm pretty sure Morocco too. Beyond that I can't help I'm afraid.

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

rubberrat

July 11th, 2016, 9:26 pm

ADAC gives you AA cover in the UK. You'll have to google/hunt around for the number to call, they dont advertise it readily but considered the best option.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

Madmountainman

July 13th, 2016, 9:35 pm

I've got my insurance renewal coming up in a couple of months. Looks like ADAC membership will be part of the package, and Sandy get's covered too, result!