Richie's Round The World

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Madmountainman

Richie's Round The World

February 10th, 2016, 11:55 am

I'm planning a 3-4 month RTW mountain biking and hiking trip for 2017, as i really fancy doing some of this…

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Flying to Frisco, drive up to Canada (Victoria, Whistler, Banff and Kimberley), back to the USA (Yellowstone, Colorado Springs, Moab/Monument Valley/Grand Canyon, Sequoia/Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite/Lake Tahoe and finally over to Hawaii. After that it's NZ and home via Japan, possibly with a wee run from Brisbane to Sydney as well.

If anyone has any helpful info, please post.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Richie's Round The World

February 10th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Have you fully considered the implications, other thrill seekers have done as you plan then found themselves without a further goal.
Many of us are content with lesser accomplishment; pottery, stamp collecting, that sort of thing,
me I'd be fully made up wrestling a bear or punching a Russian both of which I could do in a weekend just about

sabconsulting

February 10th, 2016, 7:56 pm

zildjian wrote:Have you fully considered the implications, other thrill seekers have done as you plan then found themselves without a further goal.
Many of us are content with lesser accomplishment; pottery, stamp collecting, that sort of thing,
me I'd be fully made up wrestling a bear or punching a Russian both of which I could do in a weekend just about
One step at a time Zildjian - he's working his way up to extreme stamp collecting and free-style pottery. These ultimate activities require tough training and preparation in the form of round-the-world hiking / MTB.

Steve.

zildjian
Site Admin

February 10th, 2016, 7:59 pm

Bet he hasn't even considered appropriate trouser-ware either

martinjdover

February 10th, 2016, 8:01 pm

My wife and I have mountain biked down Whistler Mountain and the trails are fantastic - well planned and set out. We even saw black bears on one of our trips down. We used bikes hired from the botton of the gondolla which were very high quality with loads of suspension travel. Six months after the biking we were back on the same slopes skiing - I love that place!

We have also mountain biked in the Peruvian Andes which, although good, wasn't up to the standard in Whistler.

I'm not really jealous of your planned trip, not really!!

Martin

Madmountainman

February 10th, 2016, 9:08 pm

I'm 6' 6" and physically cannot fly economy/premium economy and I cannot afford to fly business class on a regular basis. A RTW BC ticket costs the same as two tickets, one return to Auckland and one return to San Francisco, so i'm better off cramming it all into one fantastic, memorable, trip. As for my return… i'll have the camper up and running for travels slightly closer to home.

zildjian
Site Admin

February 10th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Would it make St Petersburg?

Madmountainman

February 10th, 2016, 9:42 pm

If I can get Sandy to commit a decent amount of time, once she retires in 5 years time, then St Petersburg is on the list. I'd love to do the whole Scandinavian round trip, coming back via St Petersburg, Estonia etc. If we can afford both the time and the costs, i'd do it earlier.

zildjian
Site Admin

February 14th, 2016, 8:51 am

Also Rich I've just approved this leave you have our best wishes

(yesterday I completed first torrent download with you and Grant's help) :)

TrueDink

February 15th, 2016, 11:55 pm

Who me? What is this torrent malarkey you speak of? Sounds like rain to me. ;)
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0