Which solar

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Big Jim

Re: Which solar

April 23rd, 2016, 7:15 pm

It is being very odd . I checked it this morning with the panel in a about a 1/4 direct sunlight and got 12.7 v on the input to the controller , and the PV light was on for the first time . Just tested again in day light but no direct sun and got 1.7 V and no PV light. I will check it at various times tomorrow.

Mike

April 24th, 2016, 9:48 am

Hi Jim a friend of mine sells portable solar cells and power banks and yesterday I measured direct from the panel in sun light 22v as you can see. Looks to me you have a problem with the cell.

This was on a 60w fold out light weight portable panel nice bit of kit
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

Big Jim

April 24th, 2016, 10:44 am

And here is mine , now removed from camper , in full sunlight .Image

Big Jim

May 28th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Gave up on that last panel and sent it back. I have to say the company was very unhelpful.
I have bought a new one which I think is better. It has an aluminium backing so it is a bit more rigid. It also has the black connector box stuck to the front rather than the back so it will fit flat against the roof.
Did have some plastic mounting blocks on the old one but they lifted the panel 10mm off the roof, this was ok on the old one due to black box location.
done any with these and made some stainless steel plates to glue on the roof .
Now all up and running

Big Jim

March 17th, 2017, 8:10 am

Hi All
I am looking to add solar to my suntrekker . There is a lot of different advice on the net , this is what I have come up with . I think it would sort of keep me self sufficient for 6 months of the year . I use LED lights , LED TV (2 hours a day ) small submersible pump and we tend to tour rather than staying put so I will get some charge off the engine . I have included a 30a controller in case I want to ever add a panel .

What do you think of the wiring diagram , what size fuses would you thin ?
Thanks Jim

sabconsulting

March 17th, 2017, 10:51 pm

Re. voltages,

When I got mine it was January. I placed it face down on the carpet in the lounge and hooked up the voltmeter. I got 1v open circuit (no load).

Turning it the right way up I got 16.27v.

When I fitted the two panels to the camper roof I taped aluminium backed bubble-wrap insulation - the stuff you put behind radiators - to the panels to prevent light getting to them while wiring them. I wired them to the PWM charge controller and then measured the voltage across its inputs - I got 11.87v.

So I was getting pretty good no / minimal load voltages with the panels covered / upside down or getting minimal ambient indoor winter light.

Steve.