Condensation

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Gary W

Re: Condensation

November 4th, 2015, 12:42 am

Toshbins wrote:We have a boat, and has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the condensation problem is a least as bad as in a camper. The real worry is the condensation in all the areas that you can't see or get to like behind cupboard panels, round the water tank etc.
In our experience, shutting the sleeping area off from the rest of the boat, just makes the problem worse. The ceiling above where we sleep literally runs with water. We open the sleeping area to the rest of the boat and keep a window open. In the morning we dry the windows and aluminium frames with a towel which we dry outside. That way we are taking the water away, rather than turning on the heating to evaporate it back into the air.
I'm reading threads like this with interest as we look for our first camper. We like the sound of the Alde heating, but our list of wants is getting very long, so we may need to compromise on something.
If you have a double cab base car, of any make, every kilo counts. A wet heating system (Alde) is too heavy, and with a properly insulated cabin it is also completely unnecessary. The little Truma S 2200 convection heater we fit as standard in many of our cabins is fine down to -30. It's extremely light, efficient, reliable, silent and uses no power. It's not trendy but it's perfect for this application - why make life hard for yourself?
The problem with boats is rather different as even a poorly insulated camper is much better insulated than most boats (certainly most GRP or steel ones anyway). Very few boats have good, if any insulation. Etaps are the exception, they have foam insulation everywhere and we have spent hundreds of nights in one of these, summer and winter, using the heating and not using it. Condensation appears on the 'windows' and hatches (non of which are double glazed of course) and on bolts and metal fittings that bridge the insulation - exactly as you would expect. The warmer it is inside, the colder it is outside, the less ventilation you have, the worse it gets, but only on those parts that are forming the cold bridges. Boats with no or limited insulation get condensation everywhere, exactly as you describe.

If you are worried about condensation don't get hung up over the heater, focus on the actual cabin construction. The heater is almost irrelevant. A genuinely well insulated cabin hardly needs any heating to keep it warm and toastie inside and you're getting the better part of 300 btu free heat from each of you anyway. If there are two of you that's enough to stay comfortable throughout a typical cold autumn night without even thinking about needing a heater.

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

Gary W

November 6th, 2015, 11:28 pm

I've had no experience with this stuff but I'm assured by some that have that it works extremely well. Might be a worth a try?

http://www.shipshapebedding.co.uk/Dry-M ... li=dry-mat

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

hondababe55

November 25th, 2015, 1:16 am

I am pleased to say the Meaco dehumidifier is brilliant. There is also a laundry setting which is warm enough to take the chill off even over the past few really cold nights. I have lined the walls of the overcab bed (mattress is raised on slats) and the back of seat cushions and have that rubber grip mat stuff under the seat base cushions. All this seems to have worked and (fingers crossed) no more condensation. I do leave the windows on the airing latches and the vents slightly open in the lounge area. Trouble is when away I take my cat (and dirt box and food bowls) and there isn't really room for the dehumidifier.

zildjian
Site Admin

November 25th, 2015, 9:07 am

"Trouble is when away I take my cat (and dirt box and food bowls) and there isn't really room for the dehumidifier."

Tough call I know, can you install it on wall somewhere as a permanent fixture,

food bowls and dirt box though will have to go outside :mrgreen:

hondababe55

November 25th, 2015, 4:45 pm

zildjian wrote:"Trouble is when away I take my cat (and dirt box and food bowls) and there isn't really room for the dehumidifier."

Tough call I know, can you install it on wall somewhere as a permanent fixture,

food bowls and dirt box though will have to go outside :mrgreen:

He is a pedigree cat that cost hundreds - he does not go outside.

I don't have any spare wall big enough, it really is quite big, it's about 8ins deep so even too big to hang on wall as you enter camper. I plan to remove suburban water heater in order to fit an oven and hob and then I shall just get a gas boiler which I will fit on bathroom wall.

Bookend

November 25th, 2015, 5:08 pm

hondababe55 wrote:I am pleased to say the Meaco dehumidifier is brilliant. There is also a laundry setting which is warm enough to take the chill off even over the past few really cold nights. I have lined the walls of the overcab bed (mattress is raised on slats) and the back of seat cushions and have that rubber grip mat stuff under the seat base cushions. All this seems to have worked and (fingers crossed) no more condensation. I do leave the windows on the airing latches and the vents slightly open in the lounge area. Trouble is when away I take my cat (and dirt box and food bowls) and there isn't really room for the dehumidifier.
Thanks for the review. what is the noise like can you sleep with it running?

hondababe55

November 25th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Bookend wrote:
hondababe55 wrote:I am pleased to say the Meaco dehumidifier is brilliant. There is also a laundry setting which is warm enough to take the chill off even over the past few really cold nights. I have lined the walls of the overcab bed (mattress is raised on slats) and the back of seat cushions and have that rubber grip mat stuff under the seat base cushions. All this seems to have worked and (fingers crossed) no more condensation. I do leave the windows on the airing latches and the vents slightly open in the lounge area. Trouble is when away I take my cat (and dirt box and food bowls) and there isn't really room for the dehumidifier.
Thanks for the review. what is the noise like can you sleep with it running?
Barely any noise at all, certainly a lot quieter than my Propex gas heater which sounds like a jet engine taking off! In the cold I use it as a heater too. It has a laundry setting which extracts moisture but also gives a very low heat but it's enough to keep the camper warm.

zildjian
Site Admin

November 25th, 2015, 7:26 pm

:mrgreen:

Bookend

January 2nd, 2016, 1:10 pm

Just wondering if your still happy with is as I'm about to buy one for the camper :D

hondababe55

January 2nd, 2016, 2:01 pm

Hi Bookend

Yes, more than happy with it. Left on laundry mode it even warms the van. It does seem to leak a bit though when used with drain hose rather than tank and I can't find out why. I've even put PTFE tape round the outlet before putting on pipe but there is still a puddle overtime. Well worth getting though.