Reversing camera and monitor

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
hondababe55

Reversing camera and monitor

October 26th, 2015, 6:08 pm

Hi. Has anybody fitted a wireless reversing camera and monitor. Will the wireless signal work from truck to rear of camper? Thanks.

saDgit

Re: Reversing camera and monitor

October 26th, 2015, 6:27 pm

Yeah, I no longer have the outfit but I fitted a wireless camera to our EC8L and it worked very well. I'm afraid I can't remember any of the details of the brand but it was a fairly mid-price kit as I recall. Nothing particularly flash.

I took the camera's power feed from the number plate light feeding the cable up through the ladder and then along under the trim. It's probably more common to take the feed from the reversing light but I wanted the option of being able to use the camera as an additional rear view while motoring simply by turning on the sidelights.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

zildjian
Site Admin

October 26th, 2015, 6:39 pm

yep but go for a big a monitor as you can, makes it much easier,
my camera is powered hidden on back of camper and powered off sidelights so I can power it up at any time I'm driving along,
camera is plugged into a tiny transmitter just dropped in side light cluster where it gets power from>

its receiver is on truck and in a rear light cluster again so power off sidelight there>then fixed wire goes forward with wiring loom to the under cab floor,
then inside cab and under the dashboard where it plugs into monitor, mine in fact is set into drivers sunvisor for neatness

but most people just fit them on dash somewhere

hondababe55

October 26th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Thank you both.

Alexd

October 26th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Does that mean the whole system is dead unless sidelights are on, then the monitor is on as opposed the more common reverse light only, it makes sense to be able to see whats happening behind you in traffic though

derestrictor

October 27th, 2015, 9:50 am

saDgit wrote:Yeah, I no longer have the outfit but I fitted a wireless camera to our EC8L and it worked very well. I'm afraid I can't remember any of the details of the brand but it was a fairly mid-price kit as I recall. Nothing particularly flash.

I took the camera's power feed from the number plate light feeding the cable up through the ladder and then along under the trim. It's probably more common to take the feed from the reversing light but I wanted the option of being able to use the camera as an additional rear view while motoring simply by turning on the sidelights.

So you have owned 'normal' campers as well the Martin, what did you think of these particular Swedish? campers, they do seem popular here

saDgit

October 27th, 2015, 12:36 pm

derestrictor wrote:
So you have owned 'normal' campers as well the Martin, what did you think of these particular Swedish? campers, they do seem popular here
Yeah, we bought it new, having previously owned an old Suntrekker, so we looked at all the others before committing ourselves and we never regretted it. Generally they're really well made and beautifully conceived - the combination of good insulation, Alde heating system and intelligently designed air flow ( under seats, through lockers, etc) is unbeatable. In the four or so years we owned it we lived and travelled in it for six months of each year and it took all of the hammer associated with that with no problem and surprisingly little wear and tear. As soon as I sold it I regretted having done so but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. But if I still owned that I wouldn't be having the fun of building one so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab

zildjian
Site Admin

October 27th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Out of interest, what became of that camper?

saDgit

October 27th, 2015, 1:43 pm

zildjian wrote:Out of interest, what became of that camper?
Sold to a very nice guy from north Norfolk who I think Mark knows. From my conversations with him I don't believe he's much of a 'joiner' though so you might have to be at your most persuasive Zildjian. ;)
Martin