Off roading

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Bookend

Off roading

August 2nd, 2015, 8:39 am

Up until the last couple of years I have always had off road prepared Jeeps and have enjoyed Green laneing around our wonderful country side.

I have started to plan some modifications to the Hilux so I can enjoy this again.

Have any of you been off road with the camper attached?

Bookend

Re: Off roading

August 2nd, 2015, 9:11 am

These are my last two

The Grand Cherokee was a 5.7l Hemi :mrgreen:

zildjian
Site Admin

August 3rd, 2015, 11:02 am

Those both look like fun, how manoeuvrable was the top one though,
I quite fancied trying one of those for awhile

Bookend

August 3rd, 2015, 11:07 am

Both were great fun.

The Grand was ok off road but the fuel consumption was the killer 5.7l petrol and 4 wheel drive took its toll on the wallet :roll:

keeflester

August 3rd, 2015, 6:49 pm

We off-roaded the ranger when we had the Tandy pony aboard. Mostly, but not limited to narrow forest tracks, deep snow, hiding in quarries, nothing deadly but loads a fun. The Tandy took a wallop from a low growing oak branch somewhere in Spain, or France, or Portugal or goodness knows where. Hard to remember, it's all gone by in a blur.
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

sabconsulting

August 12th, 2015, 10:27 pm

We've offroaded our camper plenty of times - but not heavy offroading, and we keep it VERY slow so as not to throw it around.

It's definitely not the same as offroading a Jeep TJ (I know because I managed to liberate one from Chris Coyle who needed cash after buying a JK - you'd probably find that particular TJ quite familiar :mrgreen: ).

Steve.

martinjdover

August 26th, 2015, 11:54 pm

Every trip away we try to fit in a bit of off-roading whether in the UK or abroad. Biggest problem on UK greenlanes is overhanging vegetation - it hasn't happened yet but I fear driving for miles and coming across a low branch and having to back out (my Defender doesn't really do three point turns).
I've attached the camper in a very "belt and braces" kind of way and when serious off roading I put on additional ratchet straps which connect straight down to the chassis - it hasn't moved yet! As regards damage to the camper I leave the rear legs on to act as bump protection and they have taken a few knocks, but my best advice is - don't leave the kettle on the cooker! Well actually its stow everything securely, really securely!! Remember the off-roading mantra "as slow as possible as fast as necessary". I compete in 4x4 events with my Defender 90 - so I get my speed fix there rather than with the 130 camper.

Martin