Learn us about ovens...

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
zildjian
Site Admin

Learn us about ovens...

July 22nd, 2015, 9:28 am

Sue thinks Joan & Marks ovens just a brilliant idea, I don't much like what comes out of the microwave currently fitted so am looking around at what I can find to slot in instead

So have you had one or still do,
& which produce edible results? these are the questions I need some help with,

and what please id a 'Tin front' a dealer described to me last night :D

Madmountainman

Re: Learn us about ovens...

July 22nd, 2015, 9:35 am

[quote="zildjian"

and what please id a 'Tin front' a dealer described to me last night :D[/quote]

Oven door with no glass.

Madmountainman

July 22nd, 2015, 9:52 am

I've been chatting with Rich, on this very subject, for the last week or so. I'd already put the toast thread up but, as we have a specific oven thread now, i'll post a few comments on here.

My research has shown that specific motorhome/camper ovens seem to get a mixed bag of reviews, mainly bad. There's a limited amount of information on other forums, regarding this subject, and the only decent one I found was on Marine Ovens on a Yachting magazine. http://content.yudu.com/A270qr/CookersY ... ferrerUrl=

My thoughts, for my own camper, are to remove the wardrobe and kitchen unit completely and replace it with a marine oven (next to the bench seat) and sink unit (where the wardrobe currently is situated). This will necessitate the moving of the consumer unit to the left, in order to allow sufficient depth/width to fit the oven - relocating the gas valves and re-fitting the drawers and cupboard door. I can't see the wardrobe being of huge importance to us, so it's an easy sacrifice and, we also get the benefit of a much increased worktop space, which i'll find very useful.

If this is too much and you're mainly staying on hook-up, a microwave and/or Remoska cooker (Lakeland or Amazon) are good options.

zildjian
Site Admin

July 22nd, 2015, 10:02 am

For ourselves I should add perhaps we don't necessarily need hook up I just want something that tastes nice and has an actual texture to it,
Finade was telling me about a skillet whatever that is which apparently goes some way towards the baking experience without actually having one, now I'm interested to see what everyone else can suggest too

lamp-it

July 22nd, 2015, 11:40 am

smaller older tin ones described adequate if nothing more, make sure door seals properly though
Rob

Que

July 22nd, 2015, 11:42 am

Our oven is the Spinflo Cara 3500 rated at 1.5kW. As far as I can tell it was fitted from new.
We have used it now for the past 6 years and are delighted with it and thus far, touch wood, have found no downside with it at all.
It has manual ignition, you use a match or gas sparky type lighter. The oven temperature control works a treat and the thing has a glass door so you can see the grub cooking.

As I come from the domestic appliance industry I must voice the usually warnings, get it fitted by a gas pro, there are many pitfalls.

At the very least get professional advice regarding the housing, ventilation and connection, then have the final commissioning done by the gas professional.

Just a few pointers but note these are general pointers, I'm not gas qualified.

Ventilation needs to be from underneath so you can't stand it on a shelf unless the shelf is cut away to allow plenty of ventilation under the burner area.

You need to have ventilation to the outside at the back of the oven, this is mandatory with the larger ovens in particular and a good idea anyway to keep the temperature above the oven space under control.
Our oven has a vent just above it about 1.5 inches wide along it's top edge which lines up with the back wall vent so air can sweep across the top of the oven and vent to the outside, a fan mounted inside the back vent pulls air from inside the camper across the oven to the outside which helps keep the camper temperature down when the oven is in use. Our fridge is mounted above the oven so all this helps the fridge keep it's cool too.

Gas connections must be in copper not flexible hosing and must be coiled at the connections to take up any flexing, and isolation valves fitted to allow for removal of the oven for servicing.

A permanent non closable vent would be wise to ensure plenty of fresh air can circulate into the camper, we have one of those rotary roof vents.

Hope that helps, but to be honest seeking professional advice on this would be wise as would fitting a carbon monoxide alarm.

I met someone last week who wouldn't even run his fridge on gas or cook with the stuff in his motor home, a bit too paranoiac I think.

If anyone reading this is a GasSafe engineer please jump in and give us some pro advice on this, I did the electronics side of things including microwave repairs but left the hissy, burny, explosivey stuff to my (CORGI) qualified colleagues.

One other word or two, I do have an electronic gas leak detector which I use on a regular basis to to check out our camper gas installations, very reasonably priced from China via ebay.

regards

Q&J
Nissan D40 KingCab
Apollo Demountable
Weston-Super-Mare

FinAde

July 22nd, 2015, 3:24 pm

zildjian wrote: Finade was telling me about a skillet whatever that is which apparently goes some way towards the baking experience without actually having one
It's literally 2 deep non stick frying pans which clip together (one upside down ). It's supposed to create an oven-like effect on a hob. It's an old hand me down from somewhere. I've never tried using it as an oven, just use them individually as frying pans :?
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

willyuk

July 26th, 2015, 5:12 pm

The famous double skillet. probably no longer available, last year I tracked down one of the ladies who ran the company and she had a few left in stock but was running the business down as her partner had died. I have used it in oven format, it takes about an hour to bake two largish potatoes, can be used to cook oven chips, warm pies and the recipe book tells how to prepare roast meals etc. though I have never tried. It can allow one to make do without an oven. If the weather is suitable for cooking out of doors we use the cadac as an oven and it works pretty well, when its indoor cooking, then the double skillet is used. I just think that ovens take a lot of space in a small environment. For toast we use one of those thingys on top of the hob, that works really well but its one slice at a time.

al

zildjian
Site Admin

July 26th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Sue hates those toasting things, as a bloke 'and gadget freak' I obviously thought them best thing since toast bread but I digress,
Al, got a picture of that skillet thing?

lamp-it

July 27th, 2015, 8:47 am

If thee are the pyramid shaped things in tin then they dont work so well no, there is a fishfryer thing where you clamp toast between two spatula.wire things
Rob