Portugal

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
richc

Portugal

March 27th, 2015, 1:09 am

Well tonight we decided to go to portugal for 3.5 weeks.

Leaving in 10 days time.

Life has changed a bit in our household, Lisas job disappeared but shes got a new one so we can delay the start date and my semi retirement has turned into fulltime retirement after test shows I need more treatment. So an ideal opportunity to get some early sun.

So I need Recommendations for wildcamping stop-overs , dirt roads to drive and fun to be had, please no mention of drinking port as i've had to give up the demon drink :(

Oh and I've ordered a new solar panel - 2nd time lucky !

We are going to take the ferry down to spain as when we added the costs up of driving down france, they came damn close

rich

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Portugal

March 27th, 2015, 7:43 am

Hello Rich,
Martin D seems to have the monopoly on those dirt roads (or at least up until now)

Where does ferry land you, and in which direction first, do either of you have any particular places you wish to see, either way we hope to enjoy the trip vicariously from our arm chairs here in the cold!

rubberrat

March 27th, 2015, 10:39 am

You'll off ship in Santander I guess.

I have a fair bit of experience of the Eastern Algarve area between Faro and the Spanish border. Unlike the Western Algarve, this area is very Portuguese with only a nod towards tourism. Lots of interesting places to explore just to the North of the coast up the hills.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

Bookend

March 27th, 2015, 1:12 pm

Sounds like a great adventure.

Have a good trip.

zildjian
Site Admin

April 6th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Txt message Monday Tea-time:

'Spotted green pickup with nomad/ranger on back waiting to board at Santander'

He goes on to explain He can't put a note on it as they are separated by a high fence

zildjian
Site Admin

April 7th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Take some nice pictures Rich

trevorpotts

April 8th, 2015, 2:11 pm

I was in Portugal in November and found at that time of the year that there were many places near the beaches to wild camp. I never had a problem. Before you get to Portugal the Picos mountains just West and south of Santander are stunning with great hikes. Later I camped at a municipal site at Peniche about 50 miles north of Lisbon very cheap off season even with a hook up. Stunning beaches and a lively fishing port and a big car park near town. October I am heading back to try the Algarve and maybe towards Gibralter as I have about 5 weeks.

Eurosully

April 8th, 2015, 2:30 pm

I'll be passing through Portugal in a couple of weeks, can't wait.....although I won't be in the camper, I'm on my boys bike trip, two wheels......great roads.... :twisted:

martinjdover

April 10th, 2015, 12:12 am

Rich

If you have a Garmin GPS I can send you loads of coordinates to load up for many routes both off and on road. There's some awesome trails to drive from the NE of the country right down to the Algarve. PM me.

Martin