The great 55 day turnaround that SV tech offer folks

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
FinAde

Re: Need to lose some weight...

March 28th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Leaves you feeling a little deflated, doesn't it? We'll be weighing ours properly in a couple of weeks on our first real trip out so it will be loaded with beer, wine and food.

We're going to take the spare wheel off to lighten the load on the rear axle, we can't access it with the camper on anyway. As we have spare gross weight we're planning to carry it in the camper on the bed to help move the weight forward.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

Lost in the wilds

March 28th, 2015, 5:38 pm

You could try getting the load rating raised. This web site might be a good place to start:
http://www.svtech.co.uk/motorhomes.html
I'm aware of one demountable owner who has done this on an Amarok through this company.

Chris

FinAde

March 28th, 2015, 5:48 pm

Yes we are going to look into that if we still have a problem. I notice someone selling a demountable on eBay had their truck uprated due to air suspension being fitted.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

March 28th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Unless you specifically *need* to load up with stuff before heading out you could do worse than getting it at or near your destination, same with water.

however, if you limit your payload to around 50KG, say your pickup is (nominally) 30MPG/9.4MPG
given weight of diesel is .8KG-Litre
as soon as you've travelled 150 Miles you would be about in balance again,
make the engine work harder with AC/radio/into the wind & hills and you could easily reduce that 80Miles I'd say

I expect mine would overweight if your's is but I'm not going to fret about it, not looking at the sights on our holiday routes over summer anyway.

rubberrat

March 29th, 2015, 11:30 am

So... do you think we might have been a tad overloaded when we did this last year? even had the Fiamma safari room in which weighs a ton..

These were the left over bits from the last dozen campers, period junk and the detritus of years of accumulating 'useful' stuff in a Mr Trebus fashion. Culled in one hit at a VW show last summer.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

March 29th, 2015, 11:55 am

Mark, you're aware there's a whole TV channel dedicated to people with your separation issues Sue watches them all the time,
teams of ex-council operatives 'sort carefully' through the victim's possessions as hapless colectee' choose to keep or bin the various accumulated treasures,
before carefully and with respect, hurling the whole lot in the back of a convoy of trucks

If I had my way I'd put a match to their gaff and make them watch

zildjian
Site Admin

March 29th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Are those [sneer] clip-on wing mirror [/sneer] :shock:

amateur

rubberrat

March 29th, 2015, 12:26 pm

I presume your early career as a crisis councillor didn't go as planned?

Those are in fact my finest rear view mirrors.. So I can see who is trying to overtake my swerving overloaded camper.

That was a rather cathartic excersise clearing all that stuff. Things for 70's camper, 80's camper, modern stuff, a collection of all manner of retro-crap. To make things worse... That's the second time I've done that. Now I only have two of most things.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

March 29th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Perhaps you might offer it all to Garry as 'props' for his new showroom in Portland
in the same vein as an 'Irish pub' he could nail this crap up all over the walls to instil a sense of outward-boundness to proceedings

zildjian
Site Admin

March 29th, 2015, 12:42 pm