What did you have before your current demountable?

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
FinAde

Re: What did you have before your current demountable?

January 31st, 2015, 5:08 pm

For us it was camping when the kids were younger. I got fed up with always seeming to choose the wettest weeks to go camping and sitting in a leaky tent with 2 bored teenagers.

In a previous life I had a 1987 VW T25 Mark 2 Kameo campervan.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

January 31st, 2015, 5:56 pm

Finade, you exactly fit the criteria for demounts
or at least how Me and Mark see potential owners

Revised timeline.....

Kids>Tent>rain on/in tent>VW not big enough=(dual use) demountable truckcamper :mrgreen:

rubberrat

January 31st, 2015, 9:51 pm

I replied to Finade, but the water-wheel internet dropped off..

That's three if us that have gone via the VW T25 route, they are great but not quite enough.

..but yes, your timeline reflects a discussion Zildjian and I had a while back.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

richc

January 31st, 2015, 10:59 pm

kenny wrote:No it was the 5 day coastal,I never had the time for long ocean legs and now I don't know if I would like to do long legs on board. I can cope better with being vehicle based.pneumonia+ lung removal+ massive heart attack during op + diabetes= big life changes. Dreams of retiring to a live a board lifestyle are now just dreams.

Thats what i'm trying to do now, at least semi retire , cancer 4.5 years ago removed but got other problems due to extent of surgery that had to be done

rich
Last edited by richc on February 1st, 2015, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

richc

January 31st, 2015, 11:13 pm

1St camper

2nd one

2nd one I still own but up for sale, I really miss the 101 but not really suitable for me now

Rich
Last edited by richc on February 1st, 2015, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zildjian
Site Admin

February 1st, 2015, 4:35 pm

IF I could get away with wrapping mine in tiger stripes (probably with vehicle to match) I think I would

did you inherit that paint job Rich, or was it your idea?

richc

February 1st, 2015, 4:47 pm

it was my idea.it came to me straight from the military with black/green camo (not good for north africa)

we painted it with dulux exterior gloss

rich

Peaky

February 1st, 2015, 7:39 pm

We did the tents when the kids were small & had some fantastic holidays in Cornwall, then we did the demountable thing in 2003 with a 10' x 10' awning on the back but unfortunately found it just a bit too small for the 4 of us. So we dug out the tents & added to our collection with bigger tents & then the kids became teenagers who don't want to do anything with mum & dad. So we're now re-discovering our freedom in our fantastic Skarosser with no signs of getting fed up with it :D :D :D
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

Sheriff

February 2nd, 2015, 3:14 pm

We have 4 kids within a 5 year age range, so when they were young camping was the only affordable holiday option, so we did lot of that with a huge Kiam tent, a Toyota Spacewagon and a trailer to carry all the kit. Then as they got older we graduated to this VW T4...

...which meant the wife and I could sleep in relative comfort and chuck the kids out in small tents they could put up themselves. But about a year ago, with the youngest kid aged 17 and family holidays becoming rarer (especially if any discomfort involved), I looked into the demountable option which I had been musing over for some time. The main drivers were the usuals:-

1) reducing the fleet by having a vehicle that could double as camper and everyday car. Although the VW van actually had some advantages over my present Navara (better turning circle, better visibility, more economical), I could never somehow get used to it as an everyday car the way I do with the truck - not logical I know. And the wife complained she couldn't get into multi-storey carparks (she shops a lot).
2) the ready made bed. It's not just making the bed - it's relocating all the stuff that is where the bed needs to fold down that's a pain.
3) the bonus of having a 4 wheel drive vehicle - we live in the sticks at the top of a hill with small lanes that don't get treated in winter, and we do get snowed in from time to time, though not very often. Not a big enough problem to justify a 4X4, but now I don't have to.
4) the Karosser camper we have is absolute luxury by comparison - the bed, central heating, toilet and shower on board etc.

I liked the VW but I haven't regretted the change to demountability for a minute.
Guy
Karosser Camp 6L
Toyota Hilux 3ltr auto

rubberrat

February 2nd, 2015, 4:27 pm

Continuing the theme there Guy Camp - VW - miss out the rolling bungalow stage (big motorhome) then Demountable.

(I did do the motorhome thing but did'nt feel that it was quite us I cant put my finger on it though.

I believe us lot like to have a little air of being different too.

I do like your old T4 though.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200