Is it hassle

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Is it hastle

January 16th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Engine lift, that's a good idea would make it nice and easy on smooth ground, and should be relatively cheap too!

In terms of towing though Bookend is it dealbreaker ?

Bookend

January 16th, 2015, 4:38 pm

No not a deal breaker.

The only thing we would possibly tow would be a small camping trailer and that would just sit at the back without interfering.

It would have been nice if we could have hooked our caravan on the back to get it out of storage but we will just leave the demountable at home.

Going to have a go at removing the top this weekend to see if we can manage without assistance but I think for £180 an engine lift may be the way to go.

rubberrat

January 17th, 2015, 3:43 pm

I think I paid £40 for my engine lift secondhand. Used it to lift big outboards off. Stupidly gave it away when I thought I'd never need it it again. :roll:

As you'll be cutting & welding it, I'd get on Ebay Gumtree and hunt out a used one. Remember you'll need a smooth floor to move it or it'll dig in & tip your roof on the floor.

I have an idea for a temporary method of shifting my roof single handed, build up a simple box type platform for my storage/ moving trolley abt 19" high, then I should be able to slide the top back onto it with the trolly tied to the truck so it doesn't move.

At the moment I get a mate to help me lift off, then onto the trolley. Then I can 'park' it wherever I want it of the way.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

Bookend

January 17th, 2015, 4:07 pm

This is the only part of the puzzle in the way of me ordering a demountable now.

I have un bolted the top today and it is heavy I think 2 would struggle to lift it safely I'm thinking of a frame the same height as the truck to slide it on so may have a go at constructing one next weekend.

zildjian
Site Admin

January 17th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Sounds a pretty substantial canopy that doesn't it,
The good news is though you likely won't notice much difference in performance swapping between canopy and camper,

YHM as well

rubberrat

January 17th, 2015, 4:13 pm

They are not just damn heavy, but slippery little suckers to get a safe grip on. Mine has 'escaped' during the removal more than once when I used to lift it off and carry it to where I kept it..

Look at the 'for sale' thread above, you will see a spare platform trolly I bought to resell to members here, Mike bought the last one.
If you can find one locally on ebay or some other sales site they are a brilliant help, and would make your canopy removal much easier. Other wise, when you slide the canopy onto a box, it can't be moved again... Though that might not be a problem for you.

I think if you have a platform the same height as the truck buck sides, then you should be able to demount it on your own, moving each side 6" at a time until is off. Be careful not to damage the rubber seal at the bottom though.

Every problem can be overcome, and everything is a compromise, but it all works in the end.

Bookend

January 17th, 2015, 4:22 pm

The other option is to keep my Land Cruiser and just use the Hilux for the demountable then I wouldn't need to put the top back on every time but I don't rearly want to run 2 trucks :roll:

rubberrat

January 17th, 2015, 4:30 pm

The whole point of running a pickup & demountable (well... mostly the point) is to reduce the amount of vehicles you run.

It just needs a bit of lateral thinking sometimes.

The canopy removal can be overcome, and I think that you could tow your small camping trailer by extending the trailers towing frame with a 1 meter length of sleeved box section (I intend to make mine a bolt in section so I can revert to the standard length if I use the small trailer behind one of our cars).
Just so long as there's a clear arc for that tow frame extension to move through the required 120 degrees without fouling.

Bookend

January 17th, 2015, 5:08 pm

I was going to sell the Land Cruiser before we got a demountable but as we currently have both vehicles I think we will keep both untill we know how we will get on with putting the top on and off.

Our main motivator for getting one is so we can get away for weekends as our caravan is too much hastle for short brakes. Getting rid of one vehicle is an added bonus but not the main reason.

zildjian
Site Admin

January 24th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Well Two of us just wrangled my canopy into garage today, I was going to wait and use a forklift at work but incessant accusations here about my lightweight approach to year round camping forced my hand.

It is a hassle, yes I agree but then none of us need a canopy over summer that badly we can't get a helper to assist.

Your mobile shelf for one would be better if you can't back up to a handy place to slide it onto like a coal house or something, what you need is the bottom of a scaffold tower,
theyr'e on wheels too!