WTF! update (or here we go again)

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Que

Re: WTF! update (or here we go again)

April 25th, 2016, 2:16 pm

Hiya Peaky
We have been very quiet of late, licking our wounds after a shocking experience getting some repairs done with Apollo which left us feeling like giving up on the demountable scene altogether and very lighter in the wallet.
I bought the last set of chassis reinforcing plates and picked em up in January on the way back from Apollo and I'm just setting out to find someone who can do the work for me before the camper season is upon us. Shame we live in Somerset otherwise your mate Wayne would have been ideal. Can you tell me any snags to look out for, I noticed that your airbag mounts probably needed modifying and that one of the plates had to be cut around the shock absorber mounting and did I notice that the top plates needed bending a little to fit around the curve? Any tips would be most welcome.

regards

Quenton
Nissan D40 KingCab
Apollo Demountable
Weston-Super-Mare

derestrictor

April 25th, 2016, 2:36 pm

That sounds ominous about apollo at least, on the welding front though i'd think any sidestreet garage or fabrication type business could tackle something like that after all its only load bed off/ attach plates isn't it.

rubberrat

April 25th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Agree that this job can be done elby any decent fabricator. Try agricultural fitters in Somerset.
Also, have a good chat with Peaky
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

Big Jim

April 25th, 2016, 8:38 pm

I have repaired a few chassis etc in the past . The biggest job is dismantling and prepping the rusty areas. If you could do this yourself at home would a mobile welder work out better ?

You would be able to paint it at your leisure before reassembly. It may be helpful to others to make some cardboard patterns of the repair plates to help others in the future.
Good luck
Jim