WTF! update (or here we go again)

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
TonyS

Re: WTF! update (or here we go again)

July 15th, 2015, 9:56 pm

I reckon you've made an excellent job of the Navarra chassis. I didn't realize that the plating kit was as comprehensive as it is. It looks as though it completely covers virtually every rear chassis member. I don't wonder the mig plant was overheating with all that continuous welding! I rebuilt the rear end of my Ranger chassis last year having purchased it back from my insurance company as a write off and I now wish I had done more towards additional stiffening, it would have been so much easier at the time. I think, having seen what you have done, that the Ranger will be returning to the workshop at the end of the season for an additional chassis makeover.. . just a thought, I didn't see in your photos, but you could inject plenty of waxoyl or similar into the hollow chassis members, before winter, to help prevent corrosion occurring from the inside in the heat affected zone areas. Its a grubby job but worth it.. Excellent job, Great photos and report.

zildjian
Site Admin

July 15th, 2015, 10:01 pm

Yes Tony, that kit in the pictures forms a complete jacket for the chassis rail each side, fully boxing it in and the pattern cut to fit around spring hangers and other fittings,

obviously you could pattern up your own in cardboard and have it cut it out of your own sheet by a fabber

TonyS

July 15th, 2015, 11:56 pm

Given the time, I could make a one-off kit for the Ranger, similar to the Navarra. When I recently repaired the Ranger, I cut off the mangled chassis from in between the 2 offside spring hangers and fabricated a new section from scratch, as box section steel of that particular dimension was not available off the shelf (no surprise there) . I did additionally plate either side of the repair, so that the chassis is stronger than before the collision. I spent a lot of time fabbing it up and getting it right, then in my quest for a replacement load tub, (the original being twisted beyond repair, despite struggling nearly 2 days with it on the bench) I visited a scrapyard the other side of Norwich and found that, in addition to load tubs etc, they also had a pile of donor Ranger chassis/chassis sections, which, had I known, for a few quid, would have saved me loads of heartache!. . Oh well, all part of life's learning curve I suppose :( . . . :lol: . . .

derestrictor

July 16th, 2015, 9:30 am

those chassis parts you could have 'spliced' in I suppose tp make a good copy repair of the original after all that

Like you say its knowing these things are available in forst place

TonyS

July 16th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Yes, I could have grafted in original sections, had I have known, it would have been quicker, although I would still have plated the joints, just for peace of mind . . . Its a shame we can't have the benefit of hindsight first. . . The bottom would drop out of the wedding business overnight :lol: Ha Ha Ha. . . OUCH! . . . That really hurt!

lamp-it

July 16th, 2015, 7:51 pm

So would it be possible to add something internally to rail to combat moisture/rust?
or would it be too late what with the heat of welding taking place as well
Rob

TonyS

July 16th, 2015, 9:06 pm

When I had finished the welding and cleaning up, I bought a cheap waxoyl applicator online which I coupled up to my small compressor.
It takes the form of a length of clear flexible plastic tube with a small brass spray nozzle in the end. you introduce the end of the tube into the open end of the chassis rail and push the nozzle right past the heat affected areas. You then release the air/waxoyl via the nozzle, gently pulling the hose out as you go. It should give a thick even coating inside the chassis rails. . . Its a bit like administering an Endoscopy, only using proper tools :lol:

ended up doing all the hollow sections in the load tub while I was at it. you may be able to use a similar nozzle on the standard hand applicator without the need for a compressor, I'm not sure.

TonyS

July 16th, 2015, 11:05 pm

What you mean Zildjian is "Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of Waxoyl" . . . I totally agree..

zildjian
Site Admin

July 17th, 2015, 1:13 pm

essentially yes, there's the pedestrian or (way they 'want' you) to do something,
or the correct and hopelessly overblown method much favoured around here :D