Dash cam anyone?

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Dash cam anyone?

November 12th, 2014, 10:57 am

Ouch!
someone got a bit enthusiastic didn't they.

Dashcams though are now a lot smaller and user friendly, often with rear facing option as well to capture those 'special' moments

I vote we annexe Rich's video thread to include such events our members want to post up :mrgreen:

FinAde

November 12th, 2014, 3:11 pm

We've been looking at dash cams recently. Auto Express carried out a mini test earlier this year. Their favorite was the Transcend DrivePro 200.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Drive ... s=dash+cam
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

November 12th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Looks nice and easy to use, the more I think about them the less likely it seems we should'nt be without them these days

Mines hard-wired in behind dashboard but most of them take up the cigarette lighter socket so a pity if you need to charge phone

but don't just chop the plug off as it contains all sorts of voltage regulation you'll need, instead wire in an in-line socket out of sight and plug into that instead!

zildjian
Site Admin

November 12th, 2014, 7:17 pm

I might add IMHO spending (a lot) may be unnecessary possibly,

mine picks up the number plates, OK never not worked and I'm only changing it as I managed to break the suction bit
although I am taking the opportunity to buy a smaller version but its still only £15

so now I have a spare camera that I could use elsewhere as long its mounted on a bracket of some kind :D

Hawkeye

November 19th, 2014, 10:04 pm

don't some insurance policies offer a discount if you fit a camera, sure i have seen that advertised somewhere

rubberrat

November 20th, 2014, 8:28 pm

I've heard that, but most companies I have dealt with don't seem too concerned.

They are a top idea though. If nothing else you can flog footage of shady behaviour to those Youtube car crash sites.

I'll dig my rubbish one out again and see if I can get it to work (again - I'm nothing if not persistent.) If not, when I buy a new one I'll film myself stomping this one into the road....
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

November 20th, 2014, 9:51 pm

You can have my original if your 'sucker' is good :ugeek:

mine came to bits and wouldn't stick, the mini USB seems common to all of them so far, as are the menu's

ooh er MRS!

rubberrat

November 21st, 2014, 2:35 pm

Sound goods, I'm a sucker for suckers so should have a few lying around. maybe we could have a thread to download our best 'incidents'

Robmac

December 1st, 2014, 6:37 pm

I have a cheap one which works Ok. On a recent 'Traffic awareness' course :oops: the instructors (Ex police traffic cops) said that within a couple of years, these will be compulsory in all vehicles. If this is to be the case, I would assume that they will have to be approved by some agency or other?

rubberrat

December 1st, 2014, 7:56 pm

Hi Robmac. Good to see you on here. They are definitely a good thing aren't they. I guess if everyone had them there would be a little less stupidity on our roads. Live leak and YouTube leave a permanent record of bad driving - although attributed to the car itself rather than the driver.

At least one other on contributer to this thread had been in an awareness course... I doubt he'll be the last!