My tale of Woe

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: My tale of Woe

October 31st, 2014, 9:08 pm

So we can all agree speedbumps bad

I hit one complete with camper a couple years back, and it was definitely 'on the way down' worse

TrueDink

October 31st, 2014, 9:15 pm

When I'm on holiday I want a bit of luxury which you only get from the Navara. Plus at the time I bought it I was looking at getting a Bimobil Husky before Adventure Overland started selling them in the UK and the German's wouldn't recommend anything other than the Navara and yet Darren has much love for the Hilux. Of course they have the Amarok now which the Germans recommend first.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

Peaky

November 1st, 2014, 7:35 pm

That must've come as a bit of a surprise hearing the chassis snap ? :(

The problems I had with my D40 Navara, I think were more to do with the installation of such small spreader plates to the rear end of my buck.
Now that I've had brackets welded directly from the chassis to the underside of the buck will hopefully eliminate the problem in the future. (road test yet to be completed).
So for all you folks who haven't yet experienced the delights of the Outer Hebs including their bumpy single track roads..........
be forewarned & check that chassis from time to time, even if only for peace of mind ;-)

I think my next test / trip will be a quick trip up to the Isle of Mull for Hogmanay :P

Peaky
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

zildjian
Site Admin

November 2nd, 2014, 3:12 pm

Wonder what caused the initial split in such a big bit of steel like a chassis rail, but as you say, something that significant failing like that would get your attention PDQ

I'd be intrigued to hear what someone like Bimobil would have to say about this, they would after all be the best people to ask about inspecting chassis rails close up since they actually remove the tub during their installation

TrueDink

November 2nd, 2014, 8:40 pm

According to members of Nissan-Navara.net the D22's chassis is bullet proof but the D40's chassis is supposed to be quite weak. That's why I was hesitant in fitting airbags. They create a turning moment around a single point and apparently some peoples chassis have snapped at that point.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

zildjian
Site Admin

November 3rd, 2014, 10:53 pm

Air springs sit vertically up at deepest point between leaf spring and the chassis rail above,
so the point would be about there!

Newer kits though bolt the bag top to hefty bracket that slips across the chassis rail and dissipates the energy over a wider area
(base of air bag is on leaf spring so not such a problem)

sjnovis

November 4th, 2014, 11:46 am

Many thanks for all the replies

I think TrueDink is correct, the mount for the Airbag was very close to one of the holes that went through the chassis (I assume these are for weight saving) and this was the weak point where the chassis bent.

I will get around to putting up some pictures; they are on another PC, this will make this a little more clear.

We have subsequently found Campton and have been using them for a few years now.
Never had to claim (touch wood) so not sure how they are in dealing with such things.

On a lighter note, we have had some great holidays, so I'll add some new posts about where we've been

zildjian
Site Admin

November 4th, 2014, 4:07 pm

A few of here can endorse them as insurers, I've had a claim and they were pretty quick to get it in hand

bad luck on the weak point though all the same

rubberrat

November 7th, 2014, 5:24 pm

I've just looked at my mates '07 Navara when he dropped by today, wow, that rear chassis member is spindly isnt it? And what are those holes all about?

I think if I ever aquire a Navara I'd spend a couple of bob having some strengthening plates fab'd up* where the airbags sit as the rest of the truck seems a pretty nice bit of kit.

(* other members that actually own them might tell me different)

Just re-insured my rig with Campton. £420 for truck and camper.
They still won't entertain any business use which is a pain. How do I decide whats work and what's not. I am often heading out on a personal mission when I get a call from a client to go and see them. Do I park up and hail a cab?
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

November 7th, 2014, 7:10 pm

And if you have a (work related) good idea while behind the wheel,
should you immediately pull over and continue the thought process on the verge where your'e safely insured :D

these are just the sort of things they ask you as thy check your phone network usage at time of collision
"were you drinking/talking/texting or thinking about something work-related"