Travels with Charley

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Sheriff

Travels with Charley

October 27th, 2014, 11:29 am

I'm reading 'Travels with Charley' by John Steinbeck at the moment about his travels around America in his truck in 1960. Nice camper....

Guy
Karosser Camp 6L
Toyota Hilux 3ltr auto

rubberrat

Re: Travels with Charley

October 27th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Yes, Steinbeck is my favourite author, has been for many years. Travels with Charley (in search of America) is remarkable in its place in history. If you didn't know that it was written in 1962, you would believe that it was a current piece of literature, all the social issues and prejudices are still prevalent in today's America and beyond ..

The naming of his GMC camper 'Rocinante' after Don Quixotes horse was also rather inspired. I think Rocinante translates as 'Work Horse' or 'old Nag' as a colloquialism or similar.

I re-read this on our Spring trip around Europe in our demountable, I think beginning it on the long ferry journey from Venice to Patras... still after all these years finding it vibrant, fresh and inspiring.

... and oddly, the guy who bought my last camper (A Trigano Tribute PVC) was an English Literature teacher, who arrived to collect it with his standard poodle, also named Charley after this adventure. He and the dog were setting off on a trip across France together
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

October 27th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Although isn't there some discrepancy between the nights actually spent in the camper and Steinbeck's prefference for sleeping indoors at the many homes made available to him over this period.

I'm still a fan of 'cannery row' regardless and his writing should be compulsory instead of
Latest shallow footballer aut-biog.

Sheriff

October 27th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Yes, some guy did write a book called 'Dogging Steinbeck' (must mean something different in America!). Seems a very petty affair counting how many nights he slept in motels etc. rather than in the camper, and claiming to have revealed a great fraud. I note it has one review on Amazon which says "One sided critique of Steinbeck by someone who has no discernible talent themselves".
Guy
Karosser Camp 6L
Toyota Hilux 3ltr auto

zildjian
Site Admin

October 27th, 2014, 3:23 pm

No I'm fairly sure it's been raised more than the once,
Given His place in American literature there must be any number of 'experts' out there with their own couple of Cents worth & willing to weigh in.

Seem to remember something about 'Doc' as a marine bioligist as well but that was a long time back

Certainly before we had the benefit of Amazon to refer to anyway

rubberrat

October 27th, 2014, 4:53 pm

I believe Steinbeck studied marine biology, hence his characterisation of Doc. Feel free to Google my ignorance
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

October 27th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Something I know little of (His own life) still remain a fan of his few stories

going looking for a book this week I think now thanks :D