How best to

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
zildjian
Site Admin

How best to

October 16th, 2014, 6:35 pm

We want to put together a quick how-to guide on loading & unloading campers and need some help

I might not be the best suited for this as I'm both lazy, and with clearly have too much time on my hands
contrived an on-board air system to keep actual physical effort safely at bay
(also I can do the whole lot myself and avoid argument over which way to wind the legs up or down)

Would a strip of pictures work well for interested new owners do you think ?

camper and car beside each other
camper raised ready to load
pickuo backing underneath
lowering camper on-board and hooking everything up,

that kind of thing

thinking back, what would you like to have seen at start?

rubberrat

Re: How best to

October 16th, 2014, 9:58 pm

I'm halfway through this Zildjian. A pictorial guide. Just need to add another bit when I load the camper next weekend than its ready.
Will go from 'Estate car' to Camper'

It should look like it happens in ten minutes like Thunderbird 2 rather than the 90 minute faff it really is so as not to put off newbies.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

October 17th, 2014, 9:56 am

90 minutes :ugeek:

zildjian
Site Admin

October 17th, 2014, 10:00 am

Actually I was going to look for one of those 'infographic' making tutorials Co's they make almost anything look simple (fun)
but I suppose pictures are fine.

90 minutes though can I see this before it goes up ?
you know in case you doing something different from the rest of us :D

JudgeMental

October 17th, 2014, 1:11 pm

what I used to do was paint a white line down centre of truck bed. fit a reversing screen, (fresnel lense).That allows you to see truck bed from drivers seat. line up and reverse in..you cant see it all as you lose the vision as truck moves in but it did it for me....

zildjian
Site Admin

October 17th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Can I ask how long it took you between start>holiday,

90 minutes sounds like show-boating to me

JudgeMental

October 18th, 2014, 6:17 pm

I'm pretty sure it took me no longer than 30 mins on a good day..but it was a while ago

zildjian
Site Admin

October 18th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Even accepting it was awhile ago I'm inclined to agree at around 30m (tops actually)
and now I'm curious to see just how RR goes about this

think me we might have him tested :mrgreen:

rubberrat

October 18th, 2014, 7:02 pm

So... This timescale is going from full 'estate car' mode through to ready to roll with the camper..

In summer when I know I'm going to use the camper regularly then skip to the end...it's a 20 minute on 10 minute off thing.

So...
Taking my time...it' starts with unbolting the four clamps for the rear Truckman thing, and turning them upside down so they don't catch when I put it on the wooden rack. Then finding a handy neighbour to help me lift the heavy thing off and place it on the rack.
While chatting to the neighbour I then have to remove the four screwed-in to the buck lower bolt housings ( 8 screws) because on my truck the buck liner has to come out.
Next up is removing the tailgate and storing that and cable tying up the check straps.
Now the buck liner comes out, remove the four anti-lift clamps (they are fitted to stop the low air pressure lifting the liner out when driving at speed) and put them in the box with the other bolted etc. now I can take the liner out.

Still with me?
Now my ply load bed liner goes in along with the upstand to stop the camper rubbing on the front of the buck.
Then it's time to lift the camper up off the ground...steadily... And back under. I usually get it right in two goes.
Now to lower the camper down into the buck, and at the same time lift it up on the rear air suspension.
Fit the front pair of turnbuckles from outside, then go inside to fit the rears through the access hatches.
Fit the electric plugs. Turn and stow the front legs, fully lift rear legs, check the lights, fit the access steps onto the rear clips and we're ready to go.
With one coffee somewhere in the middle that's an hour to 90 minutes, including half filling the water tank, usually while I'm doing other things.

Once this lot is done, then in 'camping mode' and using my tailgate net I recon on 10 mins to get the camper off the truck and dropped onto the ground, and maybe 15 - 20 minutes to put the camper back on.

Having to remove the plastic buck liner and fit my ply base is the biggest time-thief in the operation. Also, if I don't have the Truckman on that's saves a good half an hour.

Also, when I build this car port affair.. It will have an electric hoist for the Truckman.. Then I'll neither need to find or talk to the neighbour.

Anyway, when I get the picture guide up it will be a bit like a Blue Peter project and look like you can swap it over in no time in true 'here's one I made earlier' fashion
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

October 18th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Think I'm seeing the reticence in putting the clocks back at least