New Garage

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
richc

New Garage

October 14th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Seriously in the planning stages now, the old one is damp and far too small

So I've been trying to get a prefabbed concrete garage with a 9ft high door (2.74m)and failed dismally

The standard for a tall garage seems to be 8ft (2.43m) - to go to 9ft entry doubles the cost of the garage

Now the Apollo seems to stand at 2.07 metres tall, not yet checked to see if skylights take this higher. So to drop the demountable on a trolly I have 36cm for the trolley height and clearance for the door

So my thought is to build a cart but I cannot have the steering below the camper, so my thought was to build it with a spar coming out of one end with a ✖ piece on a pivot with the wheels attached and also a steering handle . Don't know if ive explained that well but think back to childhood days and the push go carts we built.

Any comments ?

Rich

martinjdover

Re: New Garage

October 14th, 2014, 10:44 pm

Sounds like a plan Rich. You'd still have room to fit reasonably large wheels/tyres - what sort of surface will you be pushing the trolley over? Northstar move their new units around on trolleys with 6" solid rubber tyres - but that's on flat concrete.

I've got a nice big garage but the camper has to live outside under a massive oak tree which drops leaves, twigs and pigeon poo onto the roof. We cover it over with a massive camo net.

Martin

richc

October 14th, 2014, 10:56 pm

It will be concrete , i'll extend the slab to have an apron area outside the door to allow for dropping the camper off

I was thinking heavy duty solid rubber wheels, castors are just too small to run around over the concrete

Rich

rubberrat

October 15th, 2014, 9:10 am

Have you considered steel framed buildings? They come in high door sizes - not cheap though.

I'm developing a small patch of land we bought alongside the house and decided to go for a carport for the camper to maintain airflow. Again using a cart to move it to different positions under it if I need extra work space at one end or the other, and also to cut down the height - as it's on the gable end of a bungalow the higher it gets, the shorter it has to be.

Laying a slab for new workshop shortly too, but that will be just over single garage sized, not for storing the camper. Steel framed a bit out of budget so probably a timber garage or similar. Then the joys of laying 5000 block paviors :(

Rich - you saw my thread about the cart I bought? (see 'trollied') it has airfilled wheel barrow tyres and I thought I might have to change to solids, but it works a treat. Once the camper is in place I can also use it to drop the truck hardtop onto and push it under the overcab to save space.

Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

richc

October 15th, 2014, 5:04 pm

I've had quotes for steel structures and they don't come out too expensive, till you ask them to build them onsite for you, then its another 3k+vat whereas I can get an 8ft concrete garage for £7700 all in, installed

Rich

zildjian
Site Admin

October 15th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Sorry, did you say 8'
is that going to be big enough?

You need something like your neighbour has ideally, mind you with that long garden behind your place you shouldn't be pushed for space at all really

(Rich has an enviable service road behind his place and what's more he's at the end of it too)

richc

October 15th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Damn you sussed why I bought the house, only the end plot would have done it

My only other option is to build in block , no idea of price really but builders don't come cheap

I tried to rent the one next door but her son uses a bit of it for carpet storage and her husband died in there of a heart attack

Rich

zildjian
Site Admin

October 15th, 2014, 7:04 pm

:shock:

martinjdover

October 15th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Rich - I built mine in block last year - its "only 5.8m square to max out permitted development (30m2 internal).

I call it my 1000 pound garage - not coz it cost £1000, far from it, but every stage came to within £100 of £1000.

Groundworks and base (including digger hire)
Blocks, mortar and lintels
Timber for conventional centre ridged roof
Doors and windows and electrics
Roof tiles, felt and batterns
Rendering (the only bit I didn't do myself)

My Defender 130 Hicap came in very useful during the build carrying most things back from the builders merchant. Max payload carried 3.2 tonnes - the tiles!

Certainly don't recommend doing it yourself in your spare time unless:

1) you can wait 3 months before its watertight

2) you have no health issues

3) you can afford to loose two stone in weight - I went down from 14 stone to 12.5 !

Martin

zildjian
Site Admin

October 16th, 2014, 7:21 am

from Martin