So how about.....worst camping experience!

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
zildjian
Site Admin

So how about.....worst camping experience!

October 14th, 2014, 4:21 pm

None of the usual,
"Its such a lovely site with great people we've been coming here years"
More a celebration of the CC daily mail readership and assorted low-life you've encountered on holiday.

In my case at least a couple stand out as deserving mention so I'll begin:

http://www.rosetreecampsite.co.uk/ Weston super-mare.

looks superficially a pretty ordinary sort of place until they get you in then its all;
'Oh you can't park there, that's reserved for so & so'
then
'its company policy to park on the field North/South'

Anyway time was getting on, it wasn't convenient to look for another overnight stop on way home from Cornwall so controlling my rising rage I set off to inspect toilet block to find notices plastered up all over the walls,
sort of the war-time spirit of those make-do-and-mend type slogans,

But these were 'do not take a newspaper into the toilet, think of other people'
and various dire warnings about toilet roll usage/smoking & using mobile phones,
anyway spent a cautious night in this deliverance hinterland before starting up and attempting to leave at Eight AM
to find gate firmly locked,

persistent use of bell got the site's warden out of his static, complete with unfinished rice crispies on his lips and a key,
"People don't normally leave this early in the morning"

hotel california revisited :roll:

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: So how about.....worst camping experience!

October 14th, 2014, 4:27 pm

PS there might be a small prize for working the St George's flag into your story :D

keeflester

October 14th, 2014, 5:18 pm

next time you're passing that way, take a short detour to Burrington Combe and wild-camp in the carpark at the bottom of the combe. There's toilets and its pretty quiet. Did I mention, it's FREE :lol:
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

zildjian
Site Admin

October 14th, 2014, 5:39 pm

OK its on the list, ta

rubberrat

October 14th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Not many bad ones, maybe I'm not a fussy type. I avoid anything that even smells of caravan club thus avoiding cardigan wearing neighbours engaging me in conversations about how he country has gone to the dogs or their train sets..

One grim site that stands out (and yes, I've been twice) is the one nearest to the port at Patras (Greece)

The place is an absolute dump and near derelict, but the only one near the ferry port for the trip up to Venice.
The owners are lovely, but in converstion they complain about t he lack of business and that the motor home 'guided tours' (jeez) don't stay there any more ... But prefer to chat an play cards rather than just getting out a paintbrush and pushing it over the peeling surfaces. In the gents loo there was a huge immersion heater tank balanced on a rotting wooden beam over the shower. Best leave your running spikes on when scrubbing your back.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

mjb666

October 14th, 2014, 8:10 pm

We must have been lucky choosing the sites we have stayed on, none of those nasty cc types apart from one that we choose to go to as its very convenient when we go to gigs down that way and i must admit that although its not cheap the facilities are superb and we spend all our time off site.

I will now have a think about where we have stayed and report back.

p.s. i do have a small confession and hope not to be thrown out of the Club but i do have a small St. George's flag inside the unit, which will be taken down for the 2015 Meet, but in my defence i also have Ace cafe and Barge inn,Honeystreet stickers on my fridge.
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

October 14th, 2014, 8:53 pm

There can be no jingoism and George ✖ activity
in fact wait, no, right got it!

I'm going to include this as the security question for new members

Me an Mark discussed this early on, we'd use one of these fancy new 'captcha' jigsaws, they work both as a security option and mild intelligence test, it can be a George ✖ in four jigsaw pieces and when you correctly assemble it you get chucked off immediately :shock:
there that seems fair

richc

October 14th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Mine was wildcamping at the bottom of millstone edge in the peak , in a vango force 10 (best tent ever made). A load of drunk bikers turned up and then partied till they passed out, Driving their bikes around , revving the engines, we were as scared as F**k that if we poked our noses out of the tent we would be badly beaten so we cowered in our tent till morning.

I got up at dawn, The bikers were just packing up, gave us a nod and rode off

Last time I camped there

Rich

zildjian
Site Admin

October 14th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Oddly when I left your place on Saturday there was a large gang of them travelling down past Leicester on the motorway

coicidence?

I think not my friend, I think not

zildjian
Site Admin

October 14th, 2014, 9:14 pm

ooh ooh another one,

Swanage (but not Toms field, the other one, the carnie one)

Not knowing this place http://www.herstonleisure.co.uk/findus.htm
we pulled in set up settled down to see my first happy camper mowing his grass with a machine he'd produced from car boot

night fell, the evening entertainment kicked in from club house, we turned in to this racket only to be waken by next doors VW having its B's revved off as he presumably tried vainly to charge a leisure battery,

Morning: looked around a bit more closely at our surroundings and spotted the showmans caravans

/pack up move on