So how about.....worst camping experience!

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
martinjdover

Re: So how about.....worst camping experience!

October 14th, 2014, 10:20 pm

Ummm, worst but also possibly the best and definitely the most memorable???

We were traveling down the Ice Field Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper in the Canadian Rockies and were advised that the campsites near Jasper would be full. We therefore pulled into the ideal sounding Honeymoon Lake campsite near the Athabaster Falls.
There were very few other campers on the site and I think we were the only ones in a tent. We put all food in the bear-proof containers, locked up the car and went to bed. About 3am I became aware that Jan was moving around in the tent - probably because she trod on me (it was only a little two man back-packers dome tent). I asked if she was ok and the response was SShh listen!!!
Moving around outside the tent was something BIG!! We didn't look and after a few minutes what ever it was moved away.

Now we dont know for certain but we were told that a grizzly had been seen in the camp the previous night, and that was why the campsite was almost empty!!

Just thought of another on that same trip. We were in Revelstoke and Jan asked for the tent to be erected as far away from the road as possible. We found a nice quiet spot which backed onto a row of trees.

After turning in for the the night it started. Behind the trees was the main railway line between Vancouver and Calgary and all through the night the never ending freight trains rumbled through making the tent shudder. We did see the funny side but didn't get much sleep.
Last edited by martinjdover on October 14th, 2014, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richc

October 14th, 2014, 10:43 pm

You've just reminded me of another,

Lying awake in a little backpacking tent in a gamepark in botswanna. Heavy feet treading all around us , I believed that we were done for, the marauders would surely not see the tent and just step on it.

Well we survived the night and in the light of an african dawn we crawled out of our flimsy abode. Looking around we saw a scene of complete devastation as the Ellies had eaten every twig and leaf around our campsite. By then our nocturnal visitors were back down by the river playing in the water and dust

Then we turned and listened, between us and the river, a 200 strong herd of Cape Buffalo passed by , a magical event

Rich

zildjian
Site Admin

October 15th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Perhaps I've packaged this all wrong, I was aiming for (at best) a football being kicked at your camper,
maybe a rowdy stag-camp, possibly a high percentage of George ✖ types

not lions & tigers (Bears & elephants) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm beginning to feel a bit CC

(group hug)

richc

October 15th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Did once have to deal with a very drunk woman in an Edinburgh campsite that was banging on the doors of every ones campers,

We calmed her down till her special taxi arrived, you know the one with the fluorescent stripes down the side and a big blue lightbar on top

Does that make you feel better ?

rich

zildjian
Site Admin

October 15th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Your from Leicester right?
thats bright lights to me what with the special day trips & tours lately

i'm firmly provincial and therefore intimidated by anything feral

maybe I am in actual fact closet CC

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

richc

October 15th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Hmmmmm Lisa cold tell you a thng or 2 about what goes on in Northamptonshire........

The bright lights are the Divali lights at present in belgrave. Then they are switched off , Divali is replaced by christmas and switched on again at the beginning of dec. 2 sets of lights for the price of 1

Rich

rubberrat

October 16th, 2014, 9:15 am

Another horror just came to mind, just into the Italian Riviera, dog tired after a 250 mile drive and really needing a decent overnight stop we found this place... The sign gave out all the right messages didn't it, a campsite with no camping allowed..

Seemed to be a private Aire no facilities at all, not allowed to put anything outside the camper, not even the little folding table to boil a kettle. Certainly hadn't seen any maintenance in years and it took nerves of steel to plug into the electric hook up which looked like a rats nest of exposed wiring..
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

October 16th, 2014, 9:54 am

Isn't that a mixed message as a sign though.

'Bad' sites at least seem a low percentage overall which is good, there was another one here in the UK, again South coast I recall, where they didn't actually publish a map (or postcode) relying instead on being 'talked' in by phone, site was the usual field with a brick central block and quite nice really.

Their reticence was down to having been occupied by travelling tarmac enthusiasts in the past, and they were trying to avoid this happening again,

JudgeMental

October 17th, 2014, 1:03 pm

running out of water and having to suck the juice out of an old tea bag to prevent dehydration....

zildjian
Site Admin

October 17th, 2014, 6:23 pm

You lot need to stop outdoing one another,

we once ran out of Ardenne Pâté mid-trip and spent a whole evening without wholemeal breadsticks,
and we thought that was pushing the envelope :lol: