Off Pickup Use

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
JHS

Off Pickup Use

June 23rd, 2019, 11:15 am

Hi - new to demountables but really keen to get into it.

But one key feature for me is off-pickup use. Tischer does it nicely.

Geocamper, Aero One, are the brands I'm interested in - doesn't anyone know if these can be used while I take the pickup off to do a run?

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Off Pickup Use

June 23rd, 2019, 12:35 pm

All of them can be 'occupied' when off truck, I am in fact readying our's for next weekend (or will be when I get off here shortly)
and this is off truck where its been parked beside house since the other month

typically many of us arrive at place of camp, detach camper but often leave truck beneath camper though unit is now actually standing on its own legs, then you can just drive off on day trips whatever and camper is fine, however if like me you are staying for a few nights you might want instead to unload camper/wind its legs to lowest point settling camper about 18" off ground for stability,
it's not just for high winds picking up while you happen to be away but best of these will still rock a little as you walk about inside them.

zildjian
Site Admin

June 23rd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Tischer in background is unloaded then dropped down to lowest point as above

JHS

June 23rd, 2019, 4:36 pm

zildjian wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 12:38 pm
Tischer in background is unloaded then dropped down to lowest point as above
Thank you. That's really helpful.

Do you think this is also true of the lighter ones like Geocamper, Geocar etc?

zildjian
Site Admin

June 23rd, 2019, 5:10 pm

All pretty much the same TBH did you have something specific in mind for use off-truck, most people abandon them for day trips so they aren't used at that time, we have members here work in Far North of Sweden and take theirs to live in for months at a time
but they would support the floor by resting camper on pallets or similar

Black Countryman

June 26th, 2019, 8:17 pm

It all depends upon our length of stay and what we plan on doing as to whether we demount the camper. If we're doing a tour and will not be staying for more than one or two nights in the same place we leave the camper on the pickup. If we're staying for any longer we demount the camper and lower it as far down as it will go to give it more stability and put the step at a nice height for getting in and out.

When it is off the truck at home I have it a little higher so that my daughter can park her Corsa under the overcab bed but I provide additional support with axle stands to take the weight off the legs.

SimonandAnnCadman

December 30th, 2019, 10:59 pm

We tend to take ours off unless we are only stopping for a night. We have seen some stabilisers that only appear to be available in US and Canada so hubby has made his own version with angle iron and ratchet straps to reduce any rocking.