Propane Injection in Diesel Engines?

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
wonkywheel

Propane Injection in Diesel Engines?

April 14th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Hi all,
While I was looking for information on propane/butane cooking equipment I came across an article I found very interesting.
It was an American web site, mainly for trucks, selling a propane gas injection system for diesel engines. They claimed that the addition of propane into the induction system not only gave up to 20% more horsepower and torque but increased the mpg as well.
https://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/
Further investigation showed that there were other benefits as well. Reduced CO2 emissions, a 50 % reduction in Nitrous Oxide particles as well.

One example showed a Ford 350 going from 16mpg to 25mpg and even with the cost of the propane added on there was still a saving $0.07 a gallon.

I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience of these systems?
The cheapest system I could find was about £700 for the kit without an onboard gas tank.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

derestrictor

Re: Propane Injection in Diesel Engines?

April 15th, 2019, 12:06 pm

shall have to read up that subject, always looking for savings on fuel especially these days

kernowjon

Re: Propane Injection in Diesel Engines?

April 15th, 2019, 8:11 pm

In the notes, by the original owner / converter of our Sunseeker there is a reference to he tried to do this on a Toyota Hilux - in the quotes are his words not mine.
"P100 died of rust and was replaced with a Toyota Hilux, but an un-fashionably blue. This took us on adventures for another year or two, until I foolishly added on an LPG feed for more engine power and being one of the few engineers to actually blow-up a Toyota engine."
Make of that what you will! The guy was very good as a carpenter etc in the furnishings of the unit. However his electrics and gas fitting are suspect - there is not a fuse box in the habitation 12v system: and the gas has no gas taps between cylinder and the 3 appliances.
This weeks tasks - remove fridge to replace with compressor fridge. Replace the gas pipes with 8mm pipes from bottle to hob and Propex heater via manifold with taps.
But to the thread I think be very cautious - would you squirt petrol into your diesel induction system?
Jon