Airbag alternative?

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
mjb666

Airbag alternative?

January 9th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Does any Member have any experience of these & do they do away with needing to fit airbags?

https://www.torklift.com/rv/stableload

If you compare what the product does, in the "StableLoad Features" section, it would appear much better than the airbag option?
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

kernowjon

Re: Airbag alternative?

January 11th, 2019, 2:55 am

It looks great, however I have a couple of BUTS -
1. Are you going to crawl under undoing the bolts and swinging the wedges in or out depending on if you are loaded or unloaded?
2. After a winter of road salt etc how easy will it be to adjust them - see Q1

If you rarely run your truck unloaded then another option is to fit helper springs - a coil spring located by 2 cups one bolted to the chassis the other clamped to the leaf spring just behind the axle. I have a setup bought from Custom campers another person I know fabricated his own using coil springs ex Suzuki Vitara.
Size is make cups and fit - jack the rear of the truck up , so the back axle is pulling the spring down - use a scissor jack to maximise this - be gentle - just a tweak - measure between the base of the cups add on an inch or two - cut the spring. with a jack under the rear spring undo the rear shackle. lower the axle a bit get the spring in . use the jack to realign the spring shackle. now repeat on the other side. job done.
Without a load you will be arse up but loaded none of the tired spring droop.
Jon

earthman

Re: Airbag alternative?

January 12th, 2019, 11:01 pm

3. Will the likes of SV Tech and the DVLA accept/authorize the use of this kit before issuing paperwork to confirm that it's all road legal here in the UK?