Split Charging Systems

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
wonkywheel

Split Charging Systems

December 15th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Hi, I'm looking for information.

I am looking to fit a split charging system in the demountable to keep the leisure battery fully charged while the engine is running in the truck.
As far as I can see, a 12s and 12n connector go part way to providing power but the wiring size concerns me a bit. Looking at a system on the
https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/split-ch ... asure.html page it recommends 16mm2 110 amp battery cables fitted between the starter battery and the leisure battery? I am aware that this website deals with Marine as well as Auto applications meaning both batteries are in the same enclosure.

What do other owners of demountables do about this?

The 12volt planet set up allows a reverse charging situation. ie With the camper on mains hook up a flat starter battery can be charged from the camper.

Regards,
Mark
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

derestrictor

Re: Split Charging Systems

December 16th, 2018, 12:58 pm

The Anderson connection directly off your alternator and running back somewhere behind cab then a connection onto camper batteries would be belt&braces though wouldn't it.
Might seem like overkill, alternately a 100W of solar panel on roof via a controller would top up batteries even on a dull day
ours even maintains caravan battery through its winter cover at this time of year!

wonkywheel

December 18th, 2018, 8:27 am

Thanks, I have a small 40 watt solar panel that I used on "Lightning" . That used to keep the teardrop powered but there were only a few led, phone charging, and radio. A 4 day trip would take its toll (Radio I think) I may need a larger one to be able to cater for more lights and equipment
Is your solar panel flat to the roof or can it be angled towards the sun? because at this time of year the sun is so low in the sky. When complete I hope to use the camper all year around, well, weekends anyway.
I am trying to plan and put the wiring in place so am looking at what I need.

I tend to get concerned about wire sizes having seen and had electrical fires. It's surprising how long it takes to unbolt a landrover battery terminal when the wiring loom has turned into an electric fire element. :shock: (replacement had a kill switch fitted 8-) )

I did contact the manufacturer about my query and they have come back and said it's not suitable for my application as it won't work with the 12s plug. They have offered an alternative that is suitable.
Sterling 'Wildside' Caravan Battery-To-Battery Charger - 12V/12V
Price: £192.78
(£160.65 Exc. VAT)
:o :shock: :o

I am thinking a decent MPPT solar charge controller and a bigger panel :roll: would be a better investment.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

TheWalshyWay

December 18th, 2018, 9:48 am

Hi Wonky, I reckon before you outlay on any improvements to your current set up maybe a checklist might be in order as your plans include year round usage. Do you plan on 'only wild camping' with no external power source.?
For example; what heat source do you currently have ? will you need extra start up power (Diesel air heater draws a lot on startup) your interior lighting (led) your TV (possibly on from early due to early dark evenings)
Power to run shower. / Fridge etc
I currently have a 110ah battery and 120w solar panel (fixed flat to the roof) and although I haven't spent much time this winter on trips up to now it has sufficed.
There are other members on here that live year round in theirs that might be of better assistance.

wonkywheel

December 18th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Hi B,
Having never used a hookup whilst camping, its always been basic toilet/shower option.
To be honest, as far as heating goes (jumping about) but I am thinking of a Chinese diesel hot air heater. I have a nice underfloor storage area that one would fit in a treat.
Although I have considered an alcohol burner, something like an Origo 5100 heat pal. The output is only 1.5Kw and runs for about 5 hr on a liter, I have 2 roof vents at present with another planned. They are all open vented so I'm not too worried about water vapor or carbon monoxide, anyway I will fit a sensor. As an all-weather dog walker I tend to dress to suit, and heating in "Lightning" was a 13tog quilt.

No fridge to start with as my Coleman cool box loaded with 5x £1 bags of ice will last 4 days easily. Then if I feel the need, a chest type(Engel would be nice) to compliment a smaller cool box.
I might fit a TV although as long as I have a radio I'm happy. :)
My existing battery is actually a 110 amp motor mover that has held its charge remarkedly well.

Presently I am fitting insulation and internal paneling, lights, gas, you name it. I am using my hookup for a 2kw fan heater and battery charging while using led lighting.

Mark

Camper aedificavit domum

Gordmac

December 18th, 2018, 11:36 pm

One of the plugs on my pickup supplies 12v to the fridge, ignition controlled. It also seems to supply 12v to the leisure battery constantly. From what I can understand from caravan information the leisure battery charging should be controlled by a relay operated by the fridge supply so the camper doesn't flatten the vehicle battery. I don't think my SKarosser has anything like that.
I would agree the wiring looks a bit light but I can only assume the designers knew what they were doing when it was sized.
Simplest thing to do seems to be to unplug the camper from pickup when it isn't running.

derestrictor

December 24th, 2018, 10:57 am

Unplug yes, thats the only way to be certain and what i have always done successfully, think the grey plug was-
leisure battery charge (when car battery is up enough)
fridge
reversing and interior lighting