Replacement Suntrekker tap

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
RobYorkshire

Replacement Suntrekker tap

August 15th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Anyone know where I can pick up a replacement tap for my Suntrekker?

Checked eBay but all the listings for the microswitch taps are different size fittings, both mounting hole and actual water inlet.

eBay - seemed to be referred to as "Comet / Nova":

Supposed to be leaving for Ireland in 2 weeks!
Ford Ranger 2.5TD Super Cab 4x4 & Suntrekker Demountable

saDgit

Re: Replacement Suntrekker tap

August 15th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Hi Rob, pretty sure you'll be able to get one from CAK Tanks. If it's anything like our old Suntrekker I think it'll be part number DCT2111GY - on page 28 of their catalogue http://www.caktanks.co.uk/files/cak_cat ... _Water.pdf
Their online store is at https://leisurelines.net/
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

RobYorkshire

August 15th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Thanks Martin, I'd actually ordered one off eBay and have been out this afternoon having a closer look.

I think the current tap that's fitted to mine must be some obscure smaller one as it looks like the mounting hole was originally bigger and has been filled in to accommodate it.

I've hollowed it back out and the new one now fits In. With a bit of luck I've managed to get the old connector out of the hose, and the new connector albeit a different design, fits in fine. Test run and it's all good, I just need to connect the wires properly now.

Panic over!
Ford Ranger 2.5TD Super Cab 4x4 & Suntrekker Demountable

Amanda_P

August 16th, 2018, 10:35 am

That reminds me of the time...

Clare and I were touring around Ireland in our Suntrekker, which was on a Ford P100 at the time. We were mostly lucky with the weather, but there was a run of three or four wet days while we were in the mountains near Tralee. Cabin fever struck, and we set out for a walk one day despite the rain. We were pleased to return to the warm, dry van and get our wet waterproofs off. We hung them over the sink to drip, got in the cab and moved off.

We paused for a cup of tea a while later, and were... well, dismayed isn't strong enough a word, to find that the seats and everything else in the Suntrekker was soaking wet, with water slopping across the floor and in the lockers. After a moment, we realised what had happened: the water tap was operated by a little lever, and the swinging raincoats had caught on the lever and turned the tap on, emptying the contents of the water tank into the sink, which filled and slopped all over the seats and the floor as we drove. Disaster - we had nowhere dry to sleep!

Fortunately, the rain stopped and there was a little watery sunshine, allowing us to empty the camper and to bail and swab out the lockers and the floor, and prop up the cushions outside to dry for a bit. They weren't anywhere near dry by bed-time, but we took all our luggage out of the overcab space and used that. The following day was dry enough to get us pretty well dried out throughout.

As soon as we got home, I replaced that tap with one with a knob instead of a lever.

zildjian
Site Admin

August 16th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Ours is a mixer tap lever as well, I'm always a bit sceptical of that too, with a collection of washing up tools and potions stored near it
so I turn off the water pump at control panel before moving off these days

Ogden scamper

August 16th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Amanda_P wrote:That reminds me of the time...

Clare and I were touring around Ireland in our Suntrekker, which was on a Ford P100 at the time. We were mostly lucky with the weather, but there was a run of three or four wet days while we were in the mountains near Tralee. Cabin fever struck, and we set out for a walk one day despite the rain. We were pleased to return to the warm, dry van and get our wet waterproofs off. We hung them over the sink to drip, got in the cab and moved off.

We paused for a cup of tea a while later, and were... well, dismayed isn't strong enough a word, to find that the seats and everything else in the Suntrekker was soaking wet, with water slopping across the floor and in the lockers. After a moment, we realised what had happened: the water tap was operated by a little lever, and the swinging raincoats had caught on the lever and turned the tap on, emptying the contents of the water tank into the sink, which filled and slopped all over the seats and the floor as we drove. Disaster - we had nowhere dry to sleep!

Fortunately, the rain stopped and there was a little watery sunshine, allowing us to empty the camper and to bail and swab out the lockers and the floor, and prop up the cushions outside to dry for a bit. They weren't anywhere near dry by bed-time, but we took all our luggage out of the overcab space and used that. The following day was dry enough to get us pretty well dried out throughout.

As soon as we got home, I replaced that tap with one with a knob instead of a lever.

:shock: very wise to swap that tap handle Amanda